Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hello I like to ask you if its posibale to change I want

Hello

I like to ask you if its posibale to change I want to change my dAte of birth on my NATURALIZATION

reason being, I was born in 1982, however as child I was travelling under the same passport with my mother and date of birth was registered as 1976.It was hard to obtain a passport from where we were travelling from at the time as we were fleeing from a war and was asylum seekers.
was a refugee at the time of our application for the Naturalization and
I could not get the right DOB certificate from my original country then since I could not .

I have been trough the mainstream education,in the UK and currently a British Citizen, I am wondering if its possible to change my date of birth to my actual date of birth.

many thanks

Are you saying that your date or birth was noted on your mother's passport incorrectly as 1976?

Which country issued your mother's passport?

What evidence do you have that you were born in 1982?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

It was Somali passport my mother had and yes my DOB was noted incorrectly, moreover the country was a war son at the time and we did not have time to correct this information. I am not able to get Birth/C but trying,however it is not possibale in Somalia

Many Thanks

Do you have any documentary evidence at all for being born in 1982?

Is your mother still alice and contactable?

How long have you know that your DOB is incorrect?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

knew my DOB was incorrect since we made the asylum application. my mother lives in this country and is contactable. I'm trying to see if I can obtain back my birth certificate as government in Somalia is changing now and there is some kind of law and order for the 1st time since we have left the country, however little it is.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I knew my DOB was incorrect since we made the asylum application. my mother lives in this country and is contactable. I'm trying to see if I can obtain back my birth certificate as government in Somalia is changing now and there is some kind of law and order for the 1st time since we have left the country, however little it is.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i knew my DOB was incorrect since we made the asylum application. my mother lives in this country and is contactable. I'm trying to see if I can obtain back my birth certificate as government in Somalia is changing now and there is some kind of law and order for the 1st time since we have left the country, however little it is.

Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regards

Thanks.

I will be able to answer after your next reply.

Is the a reason why you have waited until now to correct it? Why did you not correct it before?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was not too sure if I could obtain my birth certificate from the country before as thought I will be ask to provide my Birth certificate document, however as things started to progress in Somalia I might be able to get the documents if I am lucky

Thanks
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

The usual way of requesting an amendment would be to execute a Statutory Declaration drafted by a solicitor explaining the circumstances of the error and producing the evidence which has come to light detailing the correct information.

This is essentially what you are going to have to do now. Sometimes people do this because they have made an oversight originally from their birth certificate and find out they were born on a slightly different day.

However, a difference of 6 years is a bigger issue than simply a day or two out. It is too big to explain as a simple oversight. In the statutory declaration you would have to explain why you have waited until now to correct it. If you have been waiting and hoping for the situation in Somalia to stabilise so that you can access your birth certificate and did not wish to make the application without evidence in support of the statutory declaration then this would, in my view, be regarded as an reasonably understandable.

I really would attempt to get hold of your birth certificate in Somalia so that you can use it in the statutory declaration that you execute, because if you don’t have any other evidence then you will simply be making a statutory declaration by you and possibly one by your mother to make the application. This would be quite an insubstantial amount of evidence, it would be much more preferable for you to actually have your birth certificate.

You will really have to try and explain why you have not been able to do this earlier when you do come to make the application, but arguing that you have been effectively frustrated from doing so because of the political situation in Somalia is a reasonable starting point, as is the fact that I presume your original applications were made on the basis of information that your mother submitted on your behalf and so the decision was originally taken by her.

Good luck.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Thank you very much for your advise, much appreciated, would you now
advise me to go and see a solicitor now, if so what kind of solicitor or
legal expert should I look for

Many Thanks

Hi

I would wait until you have established whether you can get your birth certificate or not. Then you need to instruct a u k immigration solicitor.

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advise

You're welcome