How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7430
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was ban for 10years bcos the embassy alleged that I used

This answer was rated:

I was ban for 10years bcos the embassy alleged that I used a false tax clearance certificate,I promptly protested because I had used the same tax clearance to process a land certificate under the state government and there was no fuss.however in reply to my protest the uk embassy counseled that I was free to reapply.i reapplied and they ban me for ten years!what is the way forward ?

What is the tax clearance certificate?

What does it relate to?

Who issued the certificate to you?

What visa have you applied for?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A certificate that shows proof of annual payment of was issued by the Lagos state govt ,nigeria where I reside.i applied for uk.ireland ,southafrica
Great, thanks.

Do you have any idea why they believe it not to be genuine?

What visa did you apply for?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I applied for a uk visa. Well the tax clearance was gotten through an agent.At the time of my application way back 2008,The process for getting a tax clearance was faulted with so many problems,such that you couldn't confirm the authenticity ,untill few years ago when the Lagos state govt computerized the process and you now pay directly at the bank.
Drafting your answer now. 5 mins.

Kind regards,


Thanks for your patience.

The only way that you are going to be able to get the ban lifted now is by submitting an application for “Judicial Review”. This is a high court judge reviews the decision of the ban and decides whether or not it is lawful.

This is a specialist application. It is not something that you could possibly do yourself. You would need to instruct a UK based solicitor, which you can still do from outside the UK provided you are able to attend a lawyer based in your home country to verify your identity.

It would also be expensive, we are talking at least £1500+ VAT in legal fees.

The issue is whether the certificate is genuine or not. The view of the UKBA is that even if it was an agent who provided it then you are still responsible for it. Therefore, if the agent provided a fake certificate then the ban will stand because you are free to choose who to trust to make the application for you.

If the certificate is genuine then you will need to have it verified so far as the tax authority is able and give the documentation to the lawyer that you instruct based in the UK. They will prepare the evidential documentation asserting that the ban was not lawful because the certificate was genuine and then submit an application for the judge to review the decision.

If the judge reviews and finds that the certificate was genuine then they will likely overturn the ban so that you are free to apply again.

However, you must be certain that the certificate was genuine because it is a lot of money to spend.

Good luck.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions