How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7568
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have just moved back to the UK (April 2013) with our Filipina

Customer Question

We have just moved back to the UK (April 2013) with our Filipina maid who was granted a 6month visa. We would like her to stay but understand the restrictions posed by the UKBA. Is there any way we could employ her through an EU company which should then allow her to move freely through the EU (or is it restricted only to the Schengen countries)? If not, is there any other way that we could pursue that would allow her to stay in the UK and work? She is high school educated and previously worked for us in the UAE. Thanks. Nick
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid not, not.

We are asked this quite a bit.

Basically, any person who proposes to work in the United Kingdom, or carry out work tasks for employment which is based outside of the UK (eg. The EEA) must have leave to remain in the UK with permission to work.

Therefore, a French company would needed a Moroccan employee to come to the UK to work for a month would still only be able to do this if the Moroccan employee obtained a visa in order to let him do this. The fact that he would be employed by a French company would be irrelevant because he would still have to comply with the UK’s immigration rules.

There is no permanent category for domestic workers such as your maid. Were you only coming to the UK for a short time then there is a possibility that she could get a Domestic Workers Visa:-
This is only applicable where the sponsor employer proposes to spend up to 6 months in the UK visiting before leaving.

This type of employment is also not one which a Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Worker visa would be granted for either.

As a caution, if you are found to be employing someone in the UK without them having permission to work then you would also be liable for a fine of up to £10, 000.00 so it’s important that she is jut here for a visit and not to discharge any work duties.

I am very sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Did you get my reply requesting whether this was only true in the UK Vs the rest of Europe as the UK is outside of the Schengen Visa, ie free movement between countries?


Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

A schengen visa is a visitor's visa for a person to travel between schegen countries, it is not a work visa which would entitle her to work.

She would still require an appropropriate form of work visa whether in the UK or any schengen country I'm afraid. Some countries may have less strict rules on domestic maids than others but she would still need a visa for the country in question regardless .

I am sorry.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to RATE my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,


Related UK Immigration Law Questions