Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

My fiancée is a Croatian (EU now) citizen and has come to live

My fiancée is a Croatian (EU now) citizen and has come to live me with her young daughter. We have previously been told she can work as self-employed or be a director of a ltd company, but she needs an NI number. To get the NI number its seems she needs a UK residence permit..which of these does she need to get the UK residence permit and work as self-employed in the UK, what is the procedure?
She should use form CR1 to apply for a yellow registration certificate (blue for her daughter):

http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/croatia/applying/

This is not really necessary as she is exercising her treaty rights but it does simplify matters as the registration certificate will confirm status to anyone who needs to know. She should not really need this to get a NI number though - she has the right to be here and work in the UK in a self-employed capacity - a registration certificate is simply confirmation of this right.

This process can take some months to complete.

Information regarding how to get a National Insurance number can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Her passport really should be sufficient evidence - it confirms her nationality and this confers the right to work in the UK on a self-employed basis or as the Director of a Limited Company.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What would happen IF the UK chose to leave the EU? Would she then have a problem? I know we're a long way off that, but nothing is impossible..

Entirely impossible to say. The fact is that she has to follow the advice required at this time and speculation about the future would not change what needs to be done now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand. My concern was that if in 5 years time the UK left the EU, could they ask her like thousands of other EU citizens who have settled, work, have families and a life here, to just leave..seems kind of impossible, but did go through my mind.;)

I think it would be rather difficult for the Home Office to try and clear all of them out of the UK. Due to freedom of movement they would really have pretty much no idea who was here anyway other than those who have registered.

I would say it is impossible but as you said, anything is possible, even if there is a 0.000001% chance!