How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello Im a Canadian citizen. I apologize for the length

This answer was rated:


I'm a Canadian citizen. I apologize for the length of my question- as it rather a complicated issue.

My ex-husband was incarcerated in Canada. I obtained a divorce from him. Though the paper work were still pending. I met a UK man on facebook, and got to know him as a friend. After my divorce, he asked me to come visit him and the country as a friend. I went during the Royal Wedding with the brother primarily just to take my mind off the divorce (due to the fact I left my 5 year daughter in Canada with my mom, I only planned to be there for 3 days). After 2nd day, I contacted my friend in UK and we decided to meet up before I leave for Canada again. After spending a whole day together, we realized that there was more to our friendship than we thought. We are Muslims and refrain from dating, though in our times, we conduct a marriage contract called nikaah, that 'allows' us to date until we are sure we wish to marry each other- and that point we perform a wedding ceremony called 'walimah'.

We did the nikah contract- and the next day, I flew back with my brother to Canada.

The complexity now starts. My UK partner is legally married. The plan was that he will visit Canada the next month. He was not allowed to board the flight from UK to Canada due to him being on no-fly list for US.
I felt bad and wanted to see him to decide our fate. I booked the next morning, the night he was restricted from flying, to go to UK.

And this is where I made loads of mistakes. I thought since Canada and UK are pretty close together (we still have the queen on our money) that it wasn't a big deal why I wanted to enter UK and that I had the leave to enter. When asked why I was in UK, I said I wanted to check out universities, and wanted to stay at my dad's friend. Reason being, after his denial to come to Canada, I had discussed that maybe in the future I could come and spend some time in UK and continue my study here instead of at University of Toronto. I didn't mention the relationship as I was still legally married to my ex and so was he- so I thought it would be a lie to call him my husband. But as a Muslim- I found it inappropriate to call him my boyfriend.

This is when, the immigration officer detained me and denied me entry- saying that she is not satisfied that I am a genuine visitor. Despite me having enough funds, only one week stay in UK and my daughter in the care of my mother, and my semester in university in Canada starting soon.

Its been two years since that. We have been meeting in different countries every time I have a break from study- dubai, egypt, etc. After my graduation, we lived in Turkey for 6 months with my daughter. We intend to move to a muslim country. I am now back in Canada. But I am now pregnant with his son, due in a month. He is still legally married but I am not.

I now want to visit him for 6 months in UK so he and his parents can see our son. My son will have a canadian passport- can he apply for british citizenship? Doesn't my son has the right to visit his father- especially since father is not allowed to come to Canada? How should I go about in applying for the UK visa?
I'm Fran, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Fran


I was not satisfied with the answer I recieved from one of the professional on here. I was hoping T_Graham12 (Tom) would answer my question as I have reviewed his answers to complicated immigration cases- and he seems to know more than whats available on websites. The answer I recieved was from someone not experienced, who simply did an internet search for me. I need a personalized answer the way Tom gives.


I will let T_Graham12 know you are requesting his assistance.

Thank you for your patience.

If your son has the father's name on the birth certificate then there is the potential for him to be registered as a British Citizen by descent IF the father was born in the UK:

It might be wise to also have a paternity test. The child will not automatically have the right to a British Passport though - at best registration would be required first.

You might find it difficult to get a visitor visa given the previous immigration history and marital status of the father as this relates to the probability of leaving the UK and meeting the conditions of the visa. You could consider applying for an Accompanied Child Visitor visa:

It would be recommended that you get a visa as you have previously been refused entry.

Does this help?
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience: Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Howard and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.