How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Howard Your Own Question
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 459
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Howard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

As a result of my(British) parents never having been married

Customer Question

As a result of my(British) parents never having been married & my being registered as an Australian. So despite having lived, been educated & distributed national insurance numbers in the UK, is it correct that that my myself and my daughter are genuinely and legally considered Australians?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Do you want to ask this question in addition to your other related questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes please
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Gosh , was hoping for a little direction regarding my circumstances. Can/should I still fly to Holland tomorrow or not? Plus what must I do to get my situation sorted please.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
When born outside the UK a child should be registered as a British citizen. You might automatically be entitled to citizenship in some circumstances but you do need to register. Given that both parents are British this should not be a problem but does need to be resolved.

I would absolutely NOT recommend travelling until this is resolved.

I will need a little time to create a suitable response as there are a number of questions to be answered at the same time.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
I think it might be simplest to only have one thread going on this issue. The question in this thread was about whether or not you and your daughter could be considered Australian. The answer is yes but it can be resolved. Please rate the service provided in this thread and then close it. I have asked some questions in the other thread. Please answer those and we will work toward a solution for you.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
By the way, it might be relevant to this particular thread to note that if one or both of your parents were born in the UK and you were born outside the UK then you are at the very least a British Citizen by Descent - you simply need to be registered as such but you are entitled to Citizenship.
Expert:  Howard replied 3 years ago.
Not sure if you have resolved this but I have not received any response to those questions? In most circumstances you would apply for Citizenship by descent. Your daughter would apply for Citizenship based on having been born in the UK and having spent the first 10 years of her life here. To be precise with advice I would need some questions to be answered.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions