Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

I am a Australian citizen to British parents however was raised

I am a Australian citizen to British parents however was raised in the UK for the last 34yrs(I will be 40 9/7/73) I have had passports for both country without complaint. However it has just come to pass I am not a British Citizen nor is my daughter (despite being born in the UK). I am a single mother. I was looking to renew my British passport to be denied & informed I am Australian & can be issued a temporary 12month Australian passport, while things are sorted out. I had planned to go to Holland tomorrow. However I now am informed I may well need a visa to make that crossing? Can I please be advised????
What was the exact reason given for refusal of your passport application?

Did your parents ever register you as a British Citizen or did they just move back to the UK with you and assume nothing needed to be done?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Firstly my parents were never married and yes they assumed on our return to the UK in 1979.

And the exact reason for refusal?

Was your mother or your father the British Citizen?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Apparently I am not a British citizen so do not qualify to renew my British passport? Despite having lived in UK for 34years. Both my parents are British. So my main question is it wise to travel to Europe tomorrow despite these circumstances?
Quite an unusual situation and no doubt extremely stressful for you and your daughter.

On what basis did you get Australian citizenship? Simply as a result of being born there even though both parents were British?

Do you have any previous British passports issued prior to 1983? If so then does it state anywhere that you had right of abode?

You will be entitled to citizenship - we just need to establish the best way to resolve the issue.
I would absolutely NOT travel outside the UK until this issue is resolved.
Can we deal with the question of getting your citizenship resolved in this thread - I think you responded in your other thread and it will get very confusing very quickly if this happens.

Please answer these questions:

In addition to those questions please also confirm if your parents brought you to the UK with a British passport - in other words, on what basis were you allowed to enter the UK? Some parents would have the child in the mother or father's passport - was this the case?