Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

Hello, I am a citizen of Belarus, flying from Moscow through

I am a citizen of Belarus, flying from Moscow through UK ( transferring from Heathrow to Gatwick Airports in UK via the airside transit visa) to the final destination in Barbados.

How difficult is it to get this kind of visa as a citizen of Belarus, and what kind of factors could cause them to deny me this type of Visa?

Thank you.
You will not need a visa as you are covered by the DATV system. Please see the following page:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/transitthroughtheuk/visa-transit-airside/
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX do not quality for DATV as I don't hold any of the 13 requirements, plus I will need to exit the heathrow airport and get to Gatwick Airport:

• Additionally, if you are a national of country covered by the DATV system, you (or a person with whom you arrive in the UK) must hold:

1) a valid entry visa for Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, and a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK, as part of a journey to or from one of those countries; or
    2) a valid airline ticket for travel via the UK as part of a journey from Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, if you are transiting the UK no more than 6 months after the date when you last entered Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA with a valid entry visa for that country; or
    3) a valid USA I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998; or
    4) an expired I-551 permanent resident card issued on or after 21 April 1998, accompanied by an I-797 extension letter issued by the Bureau of Citizenship; or
    5) a valid Canadian permanent resident card issued on or after 28 June 2002; or
    6) a valid Australian or New Zealand residence visa; or
    7) a valid uniform format category D visa for entry to a state in the European Economic Area (EEA); or
    8) a valid uniform format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002; or
    9) a valid UK residence card; or
    10) a valid EEA family permit issued by the UK government; or
    11) a diplomatic or service passport issued by the People's Republic of China; or
    12) a diplomatic or official passport issued by India; or
    13) a diplomatic or official passport issued by Vietnam.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

You said that you were looking for airside transit. Surely to get from one airport to the other you will have to pass through passport control? In this case it is landside and you need to get a transit visa.

There is no reason for this to be any harder for a citizen of Belarus than any other nationality. Just make sure that you have all parts of the trip evidenced when you apply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, yes, I meant to say landside. You say to have all parts of trip evidenced, however, I don't want to buy plane tickets until I know I get the visa, as they are non-refundable. Would they need to see the proof of plane tickets? And under which circumstances would they generally deny me this kind of visa? Thank you.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Refusal would be if they thought there was the possibility that you did not intend to leave the UK. Having the trip booked is a financial commitment that would give a very strong indication that the visa application was genuine. You can apply without booking the tickets if you wish to do so and make clear in the application the reason for not booking the tickets yet. Make clear the anticipated cost and show that you are aware of the flights that you will arrive on and leave on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX see that the application for this visa requires some proof of work and bank account statements showing transactions for 3-6 months... I cannot show the bank statements, and my work is a internet based company based in the USA, who I do customer service for from Belarus. Is this going to be a problem?

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

The purpose of showing employment evidence would simply be to demonstrate a reason to return to your home country in due course - further evidence, in other words, that you do not intend to live and work in the UK. Clearly not having any need to be physically based in Belarus does not help matters but you can only work with what you have got. You will simply need to make clear the purpose of travel and the purpose of requiring a transit visa. Show that you are aware of the costs and that you can afford the trip. Show that you are aware of the times of flights and the journey you need to make between airports.

Why would you not be able to show bank statements?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nevermind, I was looking at wrong document list, they don't require bank statements for this visa.

Isn't a roundtrip to barbados through UK a low risk to the fact that I may not return? I would think going to USA would be higher risk.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

You should just concentrate on the advice I gave earlier.

You should evidence the trip if it is booked. If you prefer not to risk booking flights before getting a visa then make clear in the application that you know the costs, flights and times and that your landside transit visa is required to enable this trip. Show that you have sufficient funds to afford the trip if you are not going to book it first (which is entirely understandable and acceptable).

There is no reason for a person from Belarus to have any greater risk of refusal. The consideration of whether or not you would leave is with regard to the UK, not Barbados. They want to be assured that you will transit and that you will not enter the UK and then remain in the UK.

If you show the details I have mentioned above then you should be ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I'd also like to add that I'm going to Barbados with a friend, who is coming from US, and they may be paying for my expenses. Im curious if it's wise to state and show that someone else is paying for my trip, or is it better if I'm doing it myself? Thank you.

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

\

shift

`

z

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

Every complexity added increases the chances of a problem. If someone else is paying for your trip then it should be made clear why that person is paying. I would definitely recommend you demonstrate that you can afford the trip from your own funds if possible.