How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I need information regarding 2 things. CCJ and Will

This answer was rated:

Hello, I need information regarding 2 things.
CCJ and Will CCJ effect my Permanent residency.

I was studying with Aston University and I paid my fees. I had to pay the remaining fees was £4000.
I was trying to pay the payment but I had no job so my Standing order usually end up non paid.

Now university has files a CCJ against me in the Sheffield Court. The university and Credit Collector had my old address so I did not even know what is going on until I called university to ask if I can make installments. They told me that they have proceed it for CCJ and I have to contact the Court.

I am not sure what should I have to do and I will contact court on Monday and see what they says. I can ask them to make monthly installments.

The other major concern is I am in UK from 8 year and I will be applying for Permanent residency in 2015. I am worry if they will turn my application down because I have CCJ or will that be okay.

Please advice.
What Should I do with CCJ and my Visa

Thank you

What visa are you in please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tier 4 Student visa


Thanks for your patience.

The united kingdom border agency are in title to consider whether you are of good character when you apply for indefinite leave to remain.

Where there is a civil judgement they may consider it's a fact on whether your financial affairs when not in order or if it affects your standing in the community.

It is not really the same as having a criminal conviction which may or may certainly affect your application.

If it is the case that you do not dispute that the fees were properly payable and simply the situation has arisen because the writing to you at the incorrect address then it should be relatively easily rectified.

You should consider executing a statutory declaration with a local solicitor. This is a sworn statement. You explain about how the ccj has arisen because of you and provide any mitigating circumstances for why the fees were due.

You should then endeavour to pay the fees of in installments so that when you come to apply for indefinite leave to remain you can show that you have remedied the situation.

If you are able to do this then it is still possible that you will be granted indefinite leave to remain when you come to apply for it

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for you answer in detail.


I have one last question

My ILR is due in 2015. However, Next week i have extension due.

I will be sending my visa for extension for tier 4 student visa.


Will it create a problem in that and should I mention the CCJ in my application?


If the application form asks you about civil judgement then you will have to mention it. If it does not ask you about civil judgement then you will not have to mention it.

Please remember to rate my answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you think I have chances to get a extension. Rather then I just pay fees and college fees.


Do you think my application will be considered?


This was not your original question but I think on balance it's more likely than not that your application will be approved.

Please rate my answer now

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just wanted to know. If I have CCJ, can home office put ban on my visa by any chance.? They might can do that? Do you think so?


I will answer at 9
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will wait.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Waiting reply if you can

It's possible but not overwhelmiingly likely. You should be okay if you can demonstrate that you are paying the debt off.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.