Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Dear Sir/Madam, I need some advice on UK Visa applications

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,

I need some advice on UK Visa applications for a Ukranian friend of mine who would like to visit me in UK for a two to three week holiday. We have tried to do this once before and she was refused a visa. But this was five years ago and we would like to try again. However we would like to tread carefully as we would not like a second refusal.

We have been through the general visa application form together and we feel that the difficult section is section 5 detailing income and employment situation.

She was turned down last time for three main reasons - it was felt that she did not have a sufficient tie to her country, that she did not have much history of travel outside Ukraine and there were also concerns about her wishing to take her three year old infant brother with her. She was a 23 year old university graduate at the time and had a small retail business. She had travelled only to Turkey and Egypt (both countries not requirng visas for Ukranians). I gave my financial details to show that I could support her and it was acknowledged that this was not a concern so we feel that the reason behind it being declined was that it was felt that she could be tempted to overstay.

The situation now has changed. Five years ago we were quite recent friends and now we are longstanding close friends and I have visited her in Ukraine many times. We have holidayed together in Croatia, Italy and Hungary and she has had a Schengen visa to cover the latter two. Regarding employment, she is in the process of establishing a business so she will be self employed. There are legal documents regarding the establishment of her company which she could produce to show this. This business will use her postgraduate psychology qualifications which she has recently gained. As this is just starting however I am supporting her. So she has low income unless we acknowledge this current support. However she has some substantial savings which she can show. She has also recently inherited the apartment of her late grandfather and grandmother so she is a property owner which she is renting out. She is also now the legal guardian of her brother (now eight years old). This is because her mother (a single parent) has died. (Even five years ago she was informally looking after him as her mother was not in good health and that was the reason she was wanting to bring him then.) She is in receipt of a state benefit for being his guardian which she can include in her income. The establishment of her business is her incentive to return home as is her brother's continued schooling.

I will be paying for her and her brother's airfare and they would be my guests at the house I own in London so there would be no accomodation and food charges. I can again make out a sponsor's letter saying all this as last time. I can enclose payslips and bank statements. The payslips should be fine showing that I have a regular and substantial income but I am regularly in overdraft so perhaps this would not be so wise this time (last time the bank statements showed good balances.)

I think this summarises our situation. We were considering putting in section 9 for further information all the details of changes since last time in the hope that this will motivate them to consider it better. Could you let me know what you think are our chances of success this time.

Just one more point, her brother is on her own passport as Ukraine does not have separate passports for children. Will he need a separate visa and if so does it need a separate application? The child visas section of the UK visas website seems geared towards children travelling on their own. But the general visa application form does have a section for dependent children also travelling so if she just fills this in will any separate visa follow automatically?

Thank you for you help.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!