How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can i still apply for british oversea citizen passport now

This answer was rated:

Can i still apply for british oversea citizen passport now ? Im born in penang before 1982 .my dad born in penang 1936 married with my mum in penang 1967 .
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Where do you currently live and what is your citizenship?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Live in Malaysia .Malaysian .Married a bno turn british citizen on january 2013.married register in las vegas


Thanks for your patience.

This is quite complicated I’m afraid.

You became a British overseas citizen on 1 January 1983 if:
1. you were a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies on 31 December 1982; and
2. you did not become either a British citizen or a British overseas territories citizen on 1 January 1983.
If a person was born in Penang then it has been quite difficult in the past to work out their status because of the way various independent acts have worked.

Because you were born before before 1983 I believe that you would only have obtained British Overseas Citizenship if it was passed to you by descent from your father.

In the case of persons of Penang (of Malacca) there was no provision for the loss of Citizens of the United Kingdom & the Colonies (CUKC) status before 31 August 1957. Therefore, your father was probably a CUKC and as you are descended on generation from him you were probably also a CUKC.

On this basis, you would appear to qualify for the first part of the above criteria.

Given that you did not become (obviously) a British Citizen on 1 Jan 1983 and Malaysia/Penang did not form part of the British Overseas Territories then you would also appear to meet the second of the criteria.

On this basis it appears as if you may be eligible for British Overseas Citizenshhip.

Your marriage to a BNO does not change this, nor does it afford you any additional rights though.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I should have make myself cleare . I'm asking if I could get british overseas passport not citizenship . My husband is now a british citizen after holding bno passport several years .

I am in a meeting for an hour or so now, I will reply shortly thereafter..

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

I would assume that you can apply for a BOC passport on the basis of the above facts, but it's impossible to be certain without access to all your information.

The fact that your spouse has received their UK citizenship in full does not really make a difference so far as I can see because in order to upgrade to full citizenship from BOC you would have to have a period of residence in the UK, which I assume you do not have.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.