How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7223
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am a US citizen currently living in Ireland and

Resolved Question:

Hello, I am a US citizen currently living in Ireland and hold a 3-year GNIB card. My wife is an Irish Citizen and has just started a job working for a branch of the civilian UK government.


In 2012 I was refused entry while attempting to transit through London (on my way to Dublin). I had an adverse reaction between my medications and the free wine I drank on the flight; I got very sick and blacked-out due to the chemical reaction between the alcohol and medication ( I have since obtained a doctors letter explaining how the medication I was taking can react this way when too much alcohol is consumed. ). I was then held at the London airport, and then a detention facility over night because the Immigration officer decided to deny me entry on the basis "it would be conducive to the public good for me to be denied entry", even though I was only attempting to transit through London and I had no intentions of staying in England.


We are now starting the application process for the EEA Family permit. While reading through the UKBA website and all the information they provide with regards XXXXX XXXXX I came across this..


"S-EC.1.2. The Secretary of State has personally directed that the exclusion of the applicant from the UK is conducive to the public good."


This statement is almost exactly the same as the wording used in my refusal letter. I think my letter said something like " The secretary of state has decided it would be conducive to the public good to deny you leave to remain", but it looked like a standard paragraph used because I'm sure the secretary of state didn't personally read my file.


 Does this one incident bar me from ever living in the UK? I was never the subject of a deportation order, and I have successfully traveled in and out of the UK as a visitor since the incident.I'm wondering if I am reading into this the wrong way, or if this statement really does mean that you will be refused an EEA family permit if you were ever denied entry under those terms.


With regards XXXXX XXXXX character and financial status, I own my own business in the USA and this one incident is the only blemish on my "record" other then minor traffic tickets in the USA. I'm financially independent and my wife is a respected scientist in which she holds a PhD in her field.


Does the fact that I was granted 3 years permission to live and work in Ireland help my case? (this permission was granted after the incident).


I was wondering if you could provide me with any clarification on this matter.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Did they tell you why they considered that it would not be conducive to the public good to give you entry?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I had apparently caused a scene on the flight; including getting sick and appearing heavily intoxicated. I was initially detained by UK Police until a doctor could examine me and determine if I was ok medically. Once I was examine and deemed healthy, I was returned to London Heathrow and detained by UKBA.


I presume that UKBA considered my apparent behavior (public drunkenness and "problem causing" while on the airplane) to be the reason why I should not be allowed to transit through London Heathrow.


I have looked through the paperwork and the only reason I can find is this "You have asked for leave to enter the United Kingdom as a transit visitor, but for information available to me, it seems right for me to refuse you leave to enter the United Kingdom on the grounds that exclusion from the United Kingdom is conducive to the public good"


Is this reasoning a big problem? Will it severely hinder our efforts to obtain permission to join my wife in England?






Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Ultimately, this is not going to be too difficult to get around.

The reason that you have cited is the catch-all ground that they use when they choose not to admit a person to the UK. Doubtless it was because (to the untrained eye) you appeared to be inebriated.

Your rights as a non-EEA spouse of an EEA national to obtain a family permit to settle here with your spouse are considerable. Even so, I would recommend that you attend a local solicitor to execute a statutory declaration or affidavit explaining the mitigating circumstances behind the episode.

This statement should strongly rely on the doctor’s letter that you have indicated the contributory factor of the medication that you were on and that this was determinative in your states. You shodul explain that you do not have a problem with alcohol and also get persons of authority that have known you for a couple of years to say that you are of good character to the best of their knowledge.

If you do this then they are not likely to refuse your family permit unless you have a criminal background.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information. Can I add to my question so that I can be completely clear in my understanding of the laws.


You said "Your rights as non-EEA spouse of an EEA national...are considerable" ....


My wife also holds a british passport because one of her parents was born in Northern Ireland. Are my rights as a spouse of a british citizen better then that of an EEA National? What I mean is, would they look more or less favorably at an application concerning a british citizen and their spouse vs a EEA national and their spouse?


This is the only other information I require. I found this service extremely helpful and will rate it as such as soon as I hear back. Thanks.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

You said your wife is an Irish citizen, does she have dual nationality (UK and Irish) or do you mean she holds a Northern Ireland (ie. UK) passport?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has dual nationality.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

The rights are, broadly, the same.

There are two routes by which you would be eligible. A family permit (eea rights on her Irish citizenship) and a spouse visa (based on her UK citizenship).

The refusal of entry should be able to be circumvented in the above way. HOwever, the eligilbility criteria for spouse visas is (somewhat oc**ter intuitively) more restrictive in terms of criteria than an eea family permit:-

Please remember to rate my answer.


Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7223
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.