Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Thank you for your previous advice, I have a related question.

Customer Question

Thank you for your previous advice, I have a related question. Another possibility for me to enter the UK is under an EU passport. My mother was born in Hungary, my father in Austria. i understand that I can obtain Hungarian citizenship. If I do, then I presume that I will be able to get an EU passport and if I do, then would that entitle me to travel freely to and from the UK without any restrictions?

I was born 2 October 1946 and am an Australian citizen, I was born in Germany.

Regards Suzy
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

I am not an expert on Hungarian nationality law obviously, because I am a UK citizen.

However, were you entitled to Hungarian citizenship and were able to obtain a Hungarian passport then this would solve your problems now and also in the future.

You would then be able to get a Hungarian passport as a Hungarin citizen. You would hold dual citizenship with your current citizenship.

This means that you would be able to travel within the European Economic Area's member state on your Hungarin passport freely, as you would be exercising your treaty rights.

You would be able to stay in each country for a period of 3 months without having to show that you are exercising treaty rights by working, studying or otherwise being self-sufficient.

I would strongly recommend investigating this if it is a possibility from a Hungarian Nationality law perspective.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you explain how one exercises treaty rights in other words am I free to go in and out of the UK and can I stay longer than 3 months?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Yes, basically you are free to come and visit the UK.

The technical rules is that if you are there for longer than 3 months then you have to show that you are exercising treaty rights if you are actually asked by a UKBA official (if you are not there simply for a visit, in which case you are fine). IN these circumstance (ie. not visiting) you would have to show that you are either working, studying or otherwise self sufficient (which means not claiming public benefits).
\
Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Is there any further information you require?

I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on your position. Please remember to rate my answer, if you are satisfied.

Kind regards,

Tom
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

You will see that I have provided you with my answer.

You have not rated my answer.

I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question if you do not RATE my answer, so please rate my answer.

Tom