How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello I am the only child of my parents who live in India. I

This answer was rated:


I am the only child of my parents who live in India.
I am a British National for the past 8 years and permanently live along with my wife and child in the UK.
My father died in Feb 2011. My mother who is 62 years old has chronic mental health issues which have deteriorated over the past couple of years.
In Feb 2012 she met with a car-accident while crossing the road without paying attention and was admitted to hospital. She now has a steel plate inserted in her leg.
Since then she is unable to walk up stairs or uneven surface without assistance.
She also is diagnosed with brain damage which the doctor's suspect happened due to a stroke in the past.
She cannot cook, clean, wash or put on her sari without assistance.
I have admitted her to a 'rehabilitation centre' in May 2012 and completely provide the financial assistance for her care.
She however completely dislikes the centre and suspects the staff of stealing her things. Her suspicions are unfounded and are part of her mental health issue. She is not allowed to leave the centre on her own because of her physical and mental condition. She wishes to come and live with me.
The doctor and staff are of the opinion that she requires care, love and affection at home from her loved ones along with long term medication for her mental health. At present I travel every 6 month for a few weeks to India to meet her.
She has never been abroad and I wish to bring her to live with me. As the only child, I am the only one who can provide this.
I can provide all documents including letters and receipts from the doctor, pharmacy and the rehabilitation centre. My mother's brain scan report and x-rays for the operated leg. Copies of my Bank statements to prove that I fully pay for her stay and treatment. The death certificate of my father.
Please let me know if I meet the requirement for the "most exceptional compassionate circumstances" to bring my mother over to live with us.

Hi Dan

Thanks for your patience.

You would be looking at applying for an “Adult Dependent Relative” visa, if you were eligible.

You probably know already but the criteria for this application is contained here:-

The important points are the second set of bullet points on the above page.

Clearly, your mother meets the first criteria.

The second is more difficult since she is in a rehabilitation centre, which on first blush would appear to cater for her health requirements so that UKBA would look at this as a potential ground to refuse the visa. However, in order to get around their objections you would have to produce evidence for why it does not completely meet her requirements.

You would have to produce written substantial evidence from the professionals (including doctors) at the facility stating that the care that they are able to provide is not the most ideal because they consider that she would benefit from the care that a loving family member is able to give. They key is the evidence that you are able to produce in this regard.

I would say that it is definitively worth having a consultation with a UK solicitor after you have gathered intial evidence from the professionals at the facility (perhaps in the form of emails) in response to your enquiry as to the ideal form of care. The solicitor would look at the documents specifically and offer an opinion on whether they are sufficient to use as evidence that the care that she is receiving is reasonable in the circumstances.

You have to tread a fine line because the professionals obviously won’t say anything detrimental about the standard of care but they might be confidently able to say that her health would be improved by being close to loved ones, this is what you should focus on.

Additionally, you would also have to meet the third criteria in respect of maintenance.

My gut feeling is that if you apply you should do so in the knowledge that you might have a fight on your hands and have to appeal. You would stand a better chance on appeal though because your evidence gets a much better hearing. .

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


I have been called in to an impromptu meeting.

I will be able to respond to any questions you have in about 45mins.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.