UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am a US citizen who is in a civil partnership with a UK citizen.

I am a US citizen who is in a civil partnership with a UK citizen. I applied for a settlement visa but was refused. I am currently appealing this decision. I would like to go visit for a couple of months as with my profession I am off over the summer. Is it possible to visit during this process? Would I have to apply for a visitor visa from the US or can I just show relevant documents (such as work contract etc...) upon arrival?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Unfortunately not you are unable to arrive to the uk and obtain a visa as this would invalidate your appeal. The fact that you will arrive to the uk and be issued with a 6 months visa upon arrival would mean that you have accepted their decision to refuse your settlement visa and would now like to be issued with another visa.

You are unable to be issued with a new visa while you have an appeal pending on a previous application.

You have two options :

1. To withdraw the appeal and then arrive to the uk.

2. Delay your arrival to the uk until a decision on your appeal has been made.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your quick response. Just to confirm, it is not possible to visit at all without cancelling my appeal in the process. Is this correct?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes that is correct, you cannot apply for a visit visa upon arrival to the uk and still continue an appeal on a previous application. If you do this it will be taken as you accepting the original decision on your settlement application and then reapplying.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.