UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

need help getting british citizenship through father...

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Did he have indefinite leave to remain? Or naturalisation certificate?

Kind regards
Kindly answer my question so I can assist you further.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

im very sorry for the delay in reply. unfortunately im living in a country of poor internet service.

Thank you for your reply.

Could you please answer the following question:

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Father has a british citizenship certificate. But he only got the certificate in 1989.

He has been living in Britain since 1950. The country he is from is a former british colony so he was a british subject that lived in Britain. But he only got the certificate in 1989. I unfortunately was born in 1984.

All the time i was living and going to school in britain i never had ILR.

Thank you for your reply.

If your father had settlement for example he had indefinite leave to remain at the time if your birth then you would have been a British citizen at birth, he would not have to have obtain a British passport or a naturalisation certificate for you to become a British citizen. Please see the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/

Even if now if your father tried and obtained citizenship, you would not be eligible and you are over the age of 18 therefore you are unble to exercise any such right.

In this case I do not beleive that you will be eligible for british citizenship. You may wish to read the british nationality act for further reference.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/policyandlaw/nationalityinstructions/nichapter18/chapter18?view=Binary

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards