Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.
74406710

Hi I am a citizen of Croatia and am married to a UK citizen.

Hi
I am a citizen of Croatia and am married to a UK citizen. Myself and my 6-year-old son applied for visas to remain in the UK with my husband. My son was immediately granted IRL, but I was granted a 2-year leave
to remain. My visa expires on 30th June. Croatia fully enters the EU on the 1st July and from that date, as I've been told, Croatian spouses will no longer need visas to remain. So, what should I do? It seems ludicrous spending so much money and time on applying for IRL, if only a day after my visa expires, all of it won't be necessary anyway.
Could you, please, advise?
Thank you
I recommend that you read the following documents:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117967/statement-of-intent.pdf

The intention is to impose transitional arrangements but as you will already be in the UK and married to a British Citizen you will not be subject to these restrictions. You might already know this but I felt it was making clear just in case.

There are many situations where you do not need a visa BUT having one makes it simpler when entering the UK or when applying for a job. For example, if you did not bother to get work authorisation then an employer might not realise that you did not need to do so because you were already here, but having work authorisation makes it easy for the employer to know that they can employ you.

So I would say that there is no need for you to apply BUT you might choose to do so for convenience. If you do not then it is probably worth having a printout of the rules to confirm the facts regarding your rights based on already being here and your passport will of course make clear when you entered.

Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am so sorry, but the legal jargon eludes me. Can you just clarify, i don't need to apply for a visa?

Also, as I understood it, as a spouse of a UK citizen, I wouldn't have any restrictions to working in the UK?

Basically, I am fine as is, and I don't have to apply for a visa at all?

THK

As you are already here you are exempt from the transitional restrictions, so you do not have to apply for a visa and you can work.

If an employer is not sure about your right to work then you can show them the document I provided and your passport to confirm you had entered the UK before the new rules.

Does that answer your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, you've been great!