Howard
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.

Youth mobility scheme visa Hi Dear, I have a few questions

Youth mobility scheme visa

Hi Dear,
I have a few questions related to Youth Mobility Scheme Visa.
1) Can Youth Mobility Visa holder work as a self-employed person?
2) If they are allowed to work as a self employed person, can they rent an office with rent costing more than £5000 over two years?
3) What are the conditions attached to Youth Mobility Visa holder who wants to work as a self employed?

4) Can Youth Mobility Visa holder set up a business?
5) If they are allowed to set up company, can they rent an office with rent costing more than £5000 over two years?
6) What are the conditions attached to Youth Mobility Visa holder who wants to set up a company?

Thank you in advance.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
1. You can only work as a self-employed person if:

- you do not own permanent premises from which you do your business (other than your home)
- the total value of your equipment that you use in your business is not worth more than £5,000; and
- you have no employees.

2. You can rent an office, regardless of cost, IF the above conditions are met.

3. See 1 above.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. You can set up a Company to do business IF the self-employed conditions are met. In other words, the Home Office will apply the same conditions as a self-employed person has (outlined in answer 1) regardless of you choosing to undertake business through a Company structure.

Does this answer your question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dear,

Thank you very much for your swift reply.

Before rating your service can I have some clarifications on the followings:

You can only work as a self-employed person if:

1. you do not own permanent premises from which you do your business (other than your home)

Questions:

a)Is that mean the applicant can rent premises for the purpose of self employment or business through company provided that it is not owned by them?

b) If the applicant’s self employment/company is run from the applicant’s home then it(the home) can be owned by the applicant?

c) Can the applicant rent the office regardless of cost?

2.the total value of your equipment that you use in your business is not worth more than £5,000; and

Questions:

a) Does this amount,£5000, include the rent?

b) What is equipment in this context? Will this constitute equipments to run the business, i.e. computer, printer and stationery etc?

3.you have no employees.

Question:

a) Does that mean that the applicant cannot employ anyone?

4. After 2 years, having established business or worked as a self employed person, can they extend their visa or switch to another category or business/self employment have to be terminated?

Thank you very much in advance.

Expert:  Howard replied 1 year ago.
1.

a. Correct.

b. Correct.

c. Yes

2.

a. No, they are talking about assets - equipment used in your business.

b. Correct. Physical assets.

3.

a. Correct, you cannot employ anyone.

4. No, you cannot switch from a Tier 5 YMS.

It is important to remember the purpose of a YMS visa - it is meant to be for the purpose of experiencing life in the UK and employment is allowed simply to enable this goal. It is not intended to be used for the purpose of building a business and building a life in the UK.

Do you have further questions or is your query full answered?
Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience: Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.