Howard, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Partner with nearly 20 years experience in UK Immigration Law.

Hi To fill out a visa application for my daughter, one of

To fill out a visa application for my daughter, one of the questions ask what was your mothers nationality at her birth.
I was born to Australian parents working in Tonga. As Australia had no consular facilities I was registered with the British Consulate. When I returned to Australia in 1976, I was told by Immigration I was not Australian and had to apply for Citizenship which was granted in 1976. What was my nationality at birth?
An unusual situation. In the absence of the facility to register otherwise then nationality at birth could be determined by territory, as happened in your case, so I would write British.

For many people, nationality would be determined by the origin of both parents - they would consider you Australian because you were born to Australian parents, regardless of where that happened. In other words, many consider nationality inherited and citizenship conferred or obtained.

The reality is that for nearly all visa applications it would make no material difference whether you wrote Australian or British. If you were issued with a birth certificate that said British then it would be simple to enter the same on the application.

Does that answer your question?