How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, My permament residence card as a spouse of European

This answer was rated:


My permament residence card as a spouse of European Union citizen (Belgian) has been refused.

We are still in shock of their decision as we thought we matched all the requirement. I arrived in UK in Sep 2003 as a student and graducate on June 2005. We got to know each other in 2004 as we were in the same University. I have been employed after my graduation and was on my own valid visa before Dec 2007. We got married on July 2007, so before my previous valid visa run out, I applied a residence card as a spouse of European union citizen who exerice his treaty right here. I was granted a 5 years residence card with the expired date of Dec 17,2012.
Before my previous residence card expired on Dec 2012, we decided to apply a permanent residence card based on below facts on Oct 2012:He was a PHD student between April 01,2004 - Sep 2009, during this period, he had a full sponsored scholar ship to cover all his expense. He was writing up his thesis and looking for a job during Sep 2009 to Aril 07, 2010, during this period, although he registered himself as a job seeker for a short period but didn't apply any benefits as I always have a full time professional job to cover all the expense as a family. He got a permanent job in Heriot watt university in April 2010.
We thought we matched all the requirement as both of us has been there for a relatively long time and I am always working after my study and he exerices his treaty rights here and we never claimed any benefits, we have been together since 2004 and got married in 2007, our daughter was born on Nov 10,2008.
The reson they refused me is mainly due to the insufficient documents we provided. As per the guildline of the application form, we provided as much documents as possible to the best of our knowledge like the bank statement, employment letter from both his employer and mine, unitility bills, mortage statement,etc. However, they think we were missing the documents like P60, sickness insurance which we have them all but due to the unclear guildeline we thought it's not necessary to provide them at the time we submitted our application.
Now they retained my passport and require me to leave the coutry ASAP before they force the deport. My questions are:
1, Do they have the legal right to deport me as I am a spouse of European Union CITIZEN who exerice his treaty right here? Also it is against human rights to deport me as I am a mother of a young child?
2, If I decided to appeal, what's my chance as they may argue although I have had all the documents they required for a pemanent residence card holder but I didn't provide enough evidence when we submitted our application.
3, If I decided to re apply a residence card rather than a permanet residence card, does it automatically override my appealing right?
4, What's the impact on my current employment?

Kind regards.

Thanks for your patience.

If you have not submitted complete documentation that was material to the application then the UKBA are entitled to reject the application on this basis.

In answer to your specific questions
1.There is practically zero chance of you getting deported provided that you remain married to your EEA husband and he remains in the UK. Additionally the fact that you have a child further reinforces your right to stay here.

EEA rights are a little different to rights under visas. Your legal right to remain and work in the UK stems from the fact that you are married to your husband. It continues whilst you are married and technically there is no requirement to even apply for a residence card (although there are practical reasons why you should).

This is different to spouses of UK nationals or other national who have indefinite leave to remain because there right to remain comes directly from whether or not the UKBA have given them leave to remain in their passport.

There is practically zero chance of you getting deported whilst your spouse is in the UK exercising treaty rights.

2If you have been granted a right of appeal then although you can do so it would probably be quicker and cheaper to simply submit a new application with all the documents. Appeals take a long time, require instructing counsel and you may only rely on evidence that was actually in existence at the time of the initial application.

3, If you are confident that the you now have all the documents that were initially omitted and which formed the basis of the rejection then I would simply apply for PR again for the above reasons. You need the documents for the PR application and so you would have to submit them with that application, so you would not have the originals to submit a further application for a residence card and quite frankly submitting two applications would simply confuse the UKBA and drag the whole thing out even longer.

4. Your right to work stems from the fact that you are married. It has not been altered because you were refused PR. Your right to work remains regardless of the rejection.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.