Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Ive found out a bit more about my Dads history and wonder

Customer Question

I've found out a bit more about my Dad's history and wonder if it would still be possible for me to have dual citizenship.

My American grandfather was in the army and stationed in the Great Britain when he met my grandmother who was British. While still in England, my father was born. When my father was 5, they moved with my grandmother back to the US (Memphis, TN). My father says he was not a British Citizen (he says it was something like, he was an American born abroad, but I thought if you were born there you were automatically a citizen - my father's very PRO-AMERICA, so he could just be in denial).

I have a copy of my father's birth certificate which shows he was born in England and that his Mother lived in England. My birth certificate also shows my Father as being born in England.

I'd really like to have dual citizenship because I love London and would love to live and work there.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

What is your date of birth please?

Were you born in America?

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

05/04/69

And yes, I was born in the US.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.

I will be able to answer in an hour's time. I'm on my way to work now I'm afraid.

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow. This was really important to me. Didn't realize I'd have to stare at the computer waiting for a non-answer.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Excuse me, we experts are all working solicitors. When you post a question at a time of day outside UK working hours there is a reasonable prospect that it will be answered according to our working hours because we are human beings who have to get kids up, travel to work etc etc..

I can opt out if you like so that the question will be free for others to answer, but it may take longer.

My post was an info request, not an answer. You will know when I have answered because it will say "Answer".

Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry that the kids have to be in the way, but I thought I was paying you for this. I have kids too, so I understand, Just need an answer to a simple question.

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

You posted your question at 04.49am British time so all UK experts would have been asleep at that time, so a wait was reasonably foreseeable I should think

If your father was born in the UK before 1983 then he will automatically be a UK citizen. Before 1983 anyone born in the UK automatically received UK citizenship unless they were a born to a diplomat on a diplomatic mission with diplomatic immunity. This would not apply to your father’s parents, therefore he would be entitled to UK citizenship otherwise than by descent.

UK citizenship can pass by descent by only one generation. As your father was “British otherwise than by descent” his citizenship may pass one generation to such of his own children that are born outside the UK. Therefore, you are automatically entitled to “UK citizenship by descent”.

This means that you will have UK citizenship in the same way that others have with all the associated rights except that you would not be able to pass your citizenship on to such of your own children that are born outside the UK.

Therefore, you can apply for a UK passport in the normal way provided that you can prove the facts surrounding your birth (ie. your father’s birth).

If in the US you can apply for a passport by clicking “start” and following the guidance on the following link:-
https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Good luck.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, to get dual citizenship what do I have to do (other than get a passport) - like if I wanted to move their with my spouse - do I need to fill out a citizenship application or something for her to live and work there with me? Thanks!

Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Expert:  Thomas replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!