How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HI, I am a British citizen and I was previously an Indian

This answer was rated:


I am a British citizen and I was previously an Indian citizen. My parents are Indian citizens. I would like to know about the options if any to get my parents to have residence in UK. Looking forward to your reply.

Do your parents require personal care to perform everyday tasks? etg washing/cookign etc..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your quick reply.


No they dont need any help at the moment but they are obviously getting older.


Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that they are not automatically eligible for a visa to come here.

Parents of a UK national have only a limited right to apply for a visa. This is in the category of “Adult Dependent Relatives”, the eligibility criteria is on the following page:-

You will see that they would be eligible only if they required long term care which they could not get in their own country, either because it’s not available or because there is no-one there to actually care for them on their behalf.

I assume that they do not have access to significant funds for investment in UK business (ie. £200,000.00) and on this basis they do not appear to be automatically eligible for any immigration category.

They only one that would not be automatically rejected would probably be a discretionary application outside of the traditional immigration rules. This is used in exceptional cases where they is a compelling human rights aspect to the case. I have to say that I do not see that argument here particularly in view of the fact that they have a visitor’s visas which permit multiple entries and so which afford them the chance to see you.

If the position in terms of care changes then it may be that an immigration application for a “adult dependent relatives” visa becomes a viable one but at the moment I am not at all optimistic.

I’m very sorry, I hope you are able to see that I have to be honest with you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,


Thanks for your reply.


I see there is an option where they need to invest £200K in a UK business. I am interested to learn more about that option. Can you please elaborate more on that and what is the visa called?


This would be a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa. This is a work visa for non-EEA nationals who wish to invest money in to UK business by starting a business here.

It's not a paper exercise. So, were they to apply to the visa then they woudl actually have to run the buusiness in the UK and demonstratte that they have done this to secure further leave to remain once the first visa has run out and then again to demonstrate the continuing success of the business (including job creation) in order to ultimately apply for indefinite leave to remain.

The page on eligibility for this visa is here:-

See below on the first link that I posted for eligibility on extending this visa.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tom.


I will have a good read through the links. Last few questions

- So the initial visa is 3 years and renew after that based on criteria satisfied? Renewal is for two years?

- I understand that after 5 years they can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

- Can they invest in any existing UK business? I assume that should be fine.


That should be all.



The first two points you have raised are correct.

It can be invested in to any uk business BUT the requirement to extend is that the applicant must be regsitered as a director of the business or be self empolyed (eg. if it was a partnership) SO you have to show that the applicant is actually working as part of the business.

That's what I mean about it not being a paper exercise - they have to be an entrepreneur, with all that entails effectively.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Tom, just another question on renewal that I could not figure out. Does the main applicant have to stay X days in the UK in the first three years? Or X days of the last 12 months in the UK?


IN order to remain eligible for settlement they must spend at least 180 days in the UK in any 12 month period, so they would have to observe this.

Please rate my answer. You will agree I have more than answered your original question now.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.