Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Dear Experts, Would you be able to clarify the latest Tier

Customer Question

Dear Experts,

Would you be able to clarify the latest Tier 2 rules to me, please?

I'm a non-EU citizen on Tier 2 (General), visa start date: November 2012. I currently have a 1 year contract but my employer is willing to extend it for many more years.

According to the latest tier2-guidance, I can only get an extension for up to 3 years.

Does it mean that I will have to leave the UK for 12 months after that? Or can I have two extensions in a row, e.g. 1+3+1 year => ILR?

Thank you!
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Where you only initially granted a visa for 1 year?
Was this the length of the contract offered?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm currently on a 1 year contract until November 2013. But my employer wants me to continue working for him and is ready to offer me another contract.

The question is whether I can sign:

- a 3 year contract in November 2013 (extending my Tier 2 General visa for 3 years)

- then another 1 year contact in November 2016 (extending my visa for another year)

- then get ILR in November 2017 after 5 years in the UK.

Do the new rules allow to extend Tier 2 (General) several times in a row (without cooling off for 12 months)? Or is it not allowed any more?

Thank you.