How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently filling out form set(m). Section 3 is for "Children

This answer was rated:

I am currently filling out form set(m). Section 3 is for "Children Under 18". My wife (British-Born Citizen) has two children from a previous relationship, and my wife and myself have had one child together during my time in the UK (this makes all 3 children British Citizens).
I have read other answers to this question, but for peace of mind, would like to get a direct answer myself...

I understand that Section 3 is soley for dependants applying with myself, so therefore, do I leave the entire Section 3 blank?

There is a question (3.9) which states "Please include any further information that you think may be relevant to the consideration of this application. You may wish to include details of any children under the age of 18 who are living with you in the UK, and are British citizens..."

There is also a Question in Section 8B "Is there any other information concerning you or your family which you wish to be considered as part of your application?"

I would like to mention the fact that I have a child and two step children in the UK as well as my wife - should I leave Section 3 completely blank, and make note of this in Section 8B, or should I give information about the children in Section 3?

Also, while I have your attention, I am having a lot of trouble gaining original band statements for my bank accounts, and my wifes Building Society are refusing to allow her to send her Building Society Book to the UKBA.
I have ordered Paper Statments from my bank twice already now, and I have not recieved any of them. I have been to my bank and asked them if there is anything they could go to hurry through another copy originals - I was told there is nothing they can do except put in another order for me. They have done this, but they could take another 2 weeks to be sent to me (my leave expires in 10 days) - They have, in the meantime, given me printed out copies of all statements required, and stamped them with the Bank's Branch Stamp. If I send my application off with these copies, and insert a note explaining what has happened, would I be able to send the originals seperately once I receive them?
The important thing for now is that I get my application submitted before my leave expires.

My wife's Buildning Society has told her that if she sends her original Book to the UKBA, they would have to cancel her account to be able to order her another book to use. They too have given her stamped photocopies instead. If I explain what the Building Society have said in my application and post it off with these copies, will that acceptable? Or should my wifes Building Society be letting her send the original book?

Sorry for the long questions, I am just worried they will reject my application if I do not do everything correctly!!

Thanking You,
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

1. In respect of section 3 yes you leave it blank it does not apply to British citizens. So in your case as no dependent is applying you will leave it blank.

In section 8b you can if you wish mention that you have 2 step children etc but you should maybe mention this in your covering letter as well. You should also submit certified copies of the children's birth certificate with the application.

2. In respect of the bank statements yes send stamped copies and submit the originals once you receive the letter of receipt from the home office. When you send your original bank statements make sure you write a covering letter explaining that you are submitting original bank statements and also quote your reference number, which will be on the letter of receipt. Send the documents recorded or special delivery.

3. I am not quite sure why the building society is not allowing her to submit original book. But if this is the case then you may wish to submit the stamped copies as well as getting quite certified copy of the book from a solicitor. This would be as good as the original. You may also want to include an affidavit from your wife confirming that she wishes to support your application and that she has had problems with the building society and therefore is only able to submit certified and stamped copies this would be sufficient.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much for the prompt and detailed answers! Just wondering when you say maybe get a certified copy of the book from a solicitor, would it have to be a solicitor, or would a copy certified by a member of the police force, etc be just as accepted as well?
I only ask, as it would be a lot quicker and easier for me to get it certified at the local police station if I could.

Sorry for sounding very ignorant, but you also mention a "covering letter" which I should send as well? I didn't realise this was a requirement, but thinking about it, it sounds like a very good idea. I assume this is something similar to a covering letter you would write for a CV, just outlining the specifics of my case (ie, children) and asking them to seriously consider my application, etc?

Thank You
Thank you for your reply, it is absolutely fine that you want further clarification. Apologies for the delay in reverting back to you

1. No unfortunately you should only send documents certified by a solicitor not a member of the police force as this would give it legal weight.

2. Yes a covering letter is not a requirement but as you mentioned it would be a good idea to outline the specifics of your matter to ensure that all relevant matters are highlighted to the immigration officer so he can get a guide background of your matter.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just wanted to say thank you so much for all your help!

I have left you an Excellent Service rating and will be sure to use you again if I have any other questions in the future!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying £3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Related UK Immigration Law Questions