Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am in a serious relationship with a Women in the Phillippines.

I am in a serious relationship with a Women in the Phillippines. I earn per year in my Job at a major Hospital £18,000 per year as well as a pension from my previous Employment of £3100. A total of £21000 per Year..It is a permanent Full Time position... Is it possible i meet the criteria to Marry her and bring her to the UK..I also own my own Home. I have known her for 1 Year and i will Marry her in the phillippines. She is a widow and i am Divorced

Thanks for your patience.

Yes, if you earn that net salary and that gross pension income per annum then you will meet the financial requirement in order to apply for a spouse visa, but you must evidence both incomes in order to qualify because your salary falls just short of the required amount.

She will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement) if she is to come here to settle with you permanently.

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show (addition to the financial requirement above):-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your wife going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your wife showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement
• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that your wife could do when she comes here and show, via your wife’s CV, that she has the qualifications and work experience that she would be a viable candidate for those roles

She will also have to show that she meets the English language requirement:-

Because of the relatively short amount of time that you have known her you should submit as much documentary evidence that you can so demonstrate the chronology of your relationship and the seriousness of it.

She will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your wife before submitting it to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,