UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am planning to visit UK along with my wife as a family visitor.My

I am planning to visit UK along with my wife as a family visitor.My brother in law have a british citizen passport and he is inviting us.My question is Can we apply as a family visitor or as a general visitor.If family visitor then there is no option of relative brother in law in UK visa online form.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

The following relationships will enable you to apply on a family visitors visa. To come to the UK as a family visitor, you must be able to show that you will be visiting the following family members in the UK:

spouse, civil partner, father, mother, son, daughter, brother or sister;

grandfather, grandmother, grandson or granddaughter;

spouse or civil partner's father, mother, brother or sister;

son or daughter's spouse or civil partner;

stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother or stepsister; or

a person you have been living with in a genuine and subsisting relationship, like marriage or civil partnership, for at least 2 years before the day you apply.

If you are applying as a brother in law then this would not be considered a person who is part of your family. Now your wife (if it's her brother you are visiting ) will be able to select the drop down menu for brother, but you may need to apply under a general visitors visa if you wish to apply or what you do is select the brother link in the drop down menu and then explain to the immigration officer that you are actually travelling as a family to visit your wife's brother.

You may also wish to write in your covering letter which you will submit the application with and explain the fact you are visiting your brother in law this will allow the immigration officer to make an amicable decision on your case.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My sister and her husband are staying there and my sister husband is working so he can send me an his bank statement and also invitation letter.And also the bank account and house contract both under sister and brother in laws name.If I cant apply as a family visitor can I go for general visitor and saying staying in immediate family members house.Which one is better general visitor visa with mentioning staying immediate family member.Do I have to write purpose of the visit as tourism and family visit...This is the final questions,if you will answer then i can rate the answer

Thank you for your reply.

If your sister is living in the uk then there is nothing preventing her inviting you to the uk even though your brother in law will be providing the financial assistance. Therefore, you can apply under a family visitors visa stating that you will be residing with your wife and she has invited you to visit her.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay.what do I have to write my wife form for bellow question

In Relative details whose name do I have to write in my wife form...My sister name or Brother in law name and also relation to you details I can write in my form saying sister but what to write in my wife form....and will any other relative staying here same time as you...do I have to mention yes or no....Basically my sister is not working...What does the relative do in the UK? (Please give details of employment, study etc.)..this question how to answer...can i type my brother in law employment details...

Thank you for your reply.

1. In your form you write your sister and in your wife's form you can write her brother.

2. Regarding your sister you have to write that your sister is a house wife and that she is supported by your brother in law.

3. Regarding if any relative staying the same time as you, then if your wife etc are staying then you have time state that they are travelling with you.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.Regarding about your bellow answer

In your form you write your sister and in your wife's form you can write her brother--How can I write in my wife form brother....nothing of her relative staying there in U.K.Only my sister and brother in law(sister husband) stays there in U.K.Please explain me what to write in my wife form....We both are travelling together from Dubai to UK for a short trip.

Thank you for your reply.

In your wife's form what you write is that she is being sponsored also by your sister. The fact is that there is nothing stopping your wife also being sponsored by your sister. You just need to clarify this on the form and in the accompanying letter. So in your case write a letter to clarify that both you and your wife are being sponsored by your sister.

If the form does not give the option of sister in law then just select sister and clarify this in the covering letter, there should also be a section in the application form regarding additional information, you can clarify the matter and give them further details in that section.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi,I have one more small query.I received invitation letter from my brother in law and also rent agreement letter.In this letter their monthly rent is higher than my brother in law salary whereas I had not mentioned my sister occupation in the visa application form.I had just mentioned she is housewife and her husband is accomodating them.Is it possible we will get visa.

Thank you for your reply.

It does seem unfortunate that they have provided you with rent agreement being higher than his salary, what will happen is that the home office will see that your brother in law is not even able to meet his expenses and if this is the case how will they be able to accommodate you and your wife.

You should have mentioned your sister's employment because this would have given them more financial stability to meet their expenses. You now provide evidence of her employment and a covering letter clarifying that you make a mistake in the application form (if application has been submitted ) If not then amend the form as necessary.

I hope this clarifies the matter.

Kind regards