How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am a Polish citizen and I would like to apply for

This answer was rated:

Hello, I am a Polish citizen and I would like to apply for British passport. I have read "AN" form already and I know that there is a section that asks me for my tax office address. I am a student and as such I also can apply for British passport according to ukba after six years of legal stay in the UK (as it is the case with me). So in this case -> how am I supposed to answer section 3 - "good character" (page 9) of this "AN" form: it asks me to state whether I am an employee, business partner, self employed or director, but I AM A STUDENT, and there is no such option to choose from. Also I am being asked for my tax office address (if I am a student - what should I write here?). I am also being asked about my employer or business - but once again -> I AM A STUDENT, than what?
Really awaiting Your answer.

Do you work part time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used to work full time, but now I am a full time student and not employed. I have comprehensive sickness insurance though.


Right. Did you receive a p45 form when you finished employment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Does that have your tax office on it?

Have you changed location since then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no tax office address on it. Also even if I find it - now I am a student and I do not have any tax office also what with my other subquestions. which option should I choos out of employee, self-employed, director ? I am a student and they don't have such option on this form..... ?

Hi Pawel,

Thanks for your reply.

If it is not listed on your p45 then you will have to give HMRC a call tomorrow on the folllowing number to see if they can confirm it for you:-

I appreciate that the forms can appear to ask confusing questions for EEA applicants. The great majority of people apply for naturalisation are non-eea national who require work visas here before applying.

If there is no option for student or EEA national then you will have to put "Please refer to covering letter" next to it. You shoudl then write a covering letter enclosing your application. Use the covering letter to explain why you have not ticked one of the options. Give a short history about your time in the UK stating when you arrived, when you worked and when you started your studies.

Similarly with the questions that ask about employment and business you should put "please refer to covering letter". On the covering letter you should state that because you are not working any more you have not selected anything. You should give details of the employment that you have had though, referring to when you started and when you finished and submitting payslips where you can.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as "okay service" or above. If you do not then I do not received any credit for time I have taken to answer your questions.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.