How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7225
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sole representative visa questions Hi Dear, May I ask the

Resolved Question:

Sole representative visa questions
Hi Dear,

May I ask the following questions related to sole representative visa?

1)To come as a sole representative visa holder, do you really have to been employed by the parent company?
If so ,how many years or months that he/she has to be employed by the parent company?
2)Would it possible to be employed specifically to undertake this role as the applicant has an excellent track record of setting up branches?: parent company employs the applicant due to his expertise and track record of setting up branches a month(or just before) prior to his sole representative visa application?

Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Is the job that the application specifically to set up these branches?

Have they simply just set up branches in the country where the parent company is based?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.



The parent company is based in Russia and this company provides IT consulting.


The parent company wants to employ this applicant who is IT professional and has the necessary experience and expertise of setting up branch and running business in IT.


The applicant will be setting up the branch in the UK and will be providing the services.


Thank you


Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that you do have to be employed by the company. Please refer to the first paragraph under the heading “Sole representative of an overseas company
“ on the following link:-

Please also refer to the second bullet point under the sentence “You must also provide evidence that:” on the following link:-

You will see that it is necessary for the employee to have been employed by the company for some time in senior post. This effectively means that consultant employed for the specific one off purpose of setting up a branch would not meet this criteria.

Presumably they would also be employed under a relatively short fixed term contract which would also cause problems.

The UKBA would likely reject the application I’m afraid. If you applied you would be doing so in the hope that the UKBA would exercise discretion and allow the application even though it would appear that it was not eligible under the rules. This drastically decreases the chances of success I’m afraid

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dear,


Thank you very much for your swift reply.


Before rating can i just double check the following:


The situation is as below:

The applicant will not be only employed for one off purpose, only setting up the branch in the UK. The applicant will be setting up the branch will be continuing to work, providing services of IT consulting as a full time employee of this company for minimum of 10 years.


The parent company has chosen this candidate as he has the expertise and necessary skills to set up their branch and run their services as a sole representative of their company. The parent company would like to offer full time employment in senior job role from June 2013.


The parent company wants the applicant to make an application for sole representative visa in June 2013 so that he can be the sole representative of their company, setting up the branch and operate the registered branch.


He will be given full authority to take operational decisions on behalf of the overseas business for the purpose of representing it in the UK.


The questions are:


1)The fact that the applicant is just being employed (new employee)by the company will affect his visa application negatively?



2) How many months or years minimum does the applicant have to be employed by the parent company?

Thank you very much in advance.





Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Well, looking at the "documents required" criteria it states that the application it does state that the applicant must have been employed for "some time". However under the actual immigration rules it does not refer to "some time":-

See Rule 144 on the above link.

There is no strict definition of how long an employee should be employed for so far as I can tell.

Under the circumstances I would say that provided they are issued a permanent employment contract with no probationary period then it would still be worth making an application on this basis.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7225
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.