How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i came to uk 2001, my dad his a british citizen, he applied

This answer was rated:

i came to uk 2001, my dad his a british citizen, he applied for settlement for me i was refused 2003 i appealed it was refused... in 2011 i as granted ILR out of immigration law. can i apply for a british passport now? or do i have to wait 3 or 5 years

Did you have leave to remain before you got ILR in 2011?

If so, when did you first get leave to remain prior to getting ILR?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, i entered the uk illegally without a visa 2001. my dad took me to home office croydon to let them know the situation.. and applied for my leave to remain which was refused 2003... 2011 HO wrote me a letter i should fill in a form and send my passport, passport photograph or my birth certificate.. i sent my passport photograph and my bc. because i dont have my country passport... 2weeks later HO granted me a PERMANENT ILR out of immigration law. i received my ILR in a a4 paper with my endorsement


Thanks for your patience.

You need to apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen prior to making an application for a passport. Once naturalised you will be able to obtain a passport but you cannot get one until you are naturalised.

You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation unless you are married to a UK citizen:-
In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.

You will note that the requirement is that you must have been in the UK for 5 years. However, you will also not that you must not have been in breach of the immigration rules during this time.

You were technically in breach of the immigration rules whilst you were illegal. If you did not get leave to remain because you simply went from being illegal to having ILR then the date at which you ceased being in breach of the immigration rules will be the date that you were given ILR. Therefore, you would have to spend 5 years in the UK from the date that you were given ILR before you are eligible to apply for naturalisation.

Once you have completed your 5 years you will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN. Here is the link to the page with the form and guidance notes on completing it and what documents you will need to submit with your application:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Immigration Law Questions