UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Hello, I have a child born in the US but will be applying for

Hello, I have a child born in the US but will be applying for UK passport in Abu Dhabi. The child's claim to citizenship is through his mother, who was born in the UK. The father is not British.

The child has an orginal US birth certificate not registered with the UK. Would this, along with the mother's original birth certificate, be sufficient for the application?
Would the parents' original marriage certificate need to be submitted with the application?
Would an interview normally be required, and if so would it be held in Abu Dhabi?
How long does application processing take?
Would the original passport on which the child currently travels need to be submitted with the application?

Thank you.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Will the mother be present in abu dhabi when the application is submitted?
How old is the child?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the mother will be present. The child is 4.

Thank you for your reply.

1. Yes you should send both the child's and the mother's birth certificate confirming the names of the parents on the birth certificate and also confirming the birth place of the mother on her certificate.

2. I'm respect of the marriage certificate being submitted, Yes and no, the mother can pass on nationality regardless of the child's parents being married, therefore should you wish to send the marriage certificate to confirm that the parents are married then yes you may send it in, but it is not necessary.

3. In certain circumstances an interview maybe required, yes depending if the home office want to clarify things or ask for further documentation. The interview will be as close to the place of application to avoid inconvenience.

4. The process can take 6 weeks from the time it is received by the passport service, but may take longer depending on the complexity of the application.

5. Yes I would submit the passport just to confirm the child's currently nationality and for the sake of completeness.

For further information please see the following links :

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/united-arab-emirates/applying/child/united-states

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsfragments/66-nat-add

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Due to the length of time the passport process takes, we would only submit the child's passport if it were definitely required.

Would the original passport on which the child currently travels need to be submitted for the application to be complete?

Thank you for your reply.

In this case and due to the fact that the passport agency will do through checks I would submit the child's original passport to confirm their nationality. You would not want the process to take any longer than it does and submitting the original passport may expidite the matter.

You would need to provide evidence of the child's current nationality and a passport would need to be sent otherwise they would ask you to provide one thereafter.

Kind regards

Kind regards