UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

Good afternoon, Unfortunately UKBA call centre and also the

Good afternoon,
Unfortunately UKBA call centre and also the UK consulate here in Dubai cannot answer my question.

I am a British Citizen living in Dubai. My husband is Bulgarian and we are expecting a baby soon. I have been reading various pieces of information about whether the child would automatically inherit the British Citizenship from myself if it is born here, however I am still not clear about this.

My citizenship was acquired by adoption in 1999 when my mother married my stepfather. Stepfather is British and born in the UK however I was born in Moscow, Russia in 1982.

Please could you kindly clarify whether the baby will gain a British Nationality if it is born in Dubai or I will need to travel back to London?
Kind regards,
Sabina
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Have you spent any time in the UK?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi yes, i have been living in the UK since 1991 when we arrived as refugees, my mum then got married and through that I got British passport. I have lived in the UK continuously until 2011 when my husband and I moved to Dubai. I still pay NI contributions (if that helps!)

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Just to clarify,

You were naturalised as a British citizen?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

From what i understand I was naturalised as a British Citizen due to our status of being refugees but this coincided with being legally adopted by a British Citizen.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. A child who is not already a British citizen but is adopted by a British citizen will automatically become a British citizen from the date a court makes an adoption order as long as the child is still under the age of 18 and the adoption:

• is made by a court in the United Kingdom, or
• is made by a court in the Falkland Islands between 1 January 1983 and 20 May 2002 (inclusive), or
• is made, on or after 21 May 2002, by a court in a qualifying territory, or

is:
o a “Convention” adoption (see Note H), and
o is made by a court outside the United Kingdom on or after 1 June 2003, and
o the adoptive parent is habitually resident in the United Kingdom at the time of the adoption (NB. In the case of a joint adoption, both

If you were adopted you would have become a British citizen and would have obtain citizenship other than by decent then yes you would be able to pass on citizenship to your child.

2. If you were naturalised as a British citizen then again, yes you will be able to pass on citizenship to your child even if you are outside of the UK.

You would need to register the child as a British citizen and would need to use the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/united-arab-emirates/applying/child/united-arab-emirates

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your prompt and clear response. Very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Sabina

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.