UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Good evening. I have a spent sentence of shop lifting about

Good evening. I have a spent sentence of shop lifting about 28 years ago when I was 20 years old. I was fined about £50 pounds then. I however think it is getting in the way of visa processing for my entry to the UK. I will like to know how I am required to respond to the question on prior convictions. Is this a Yes answer despite that it is spent?
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

What visa are you applying for?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Visiting visa

Thank you for your.

Yes in your case you would need to provide evidence of your previous conviction, the question asks whether you have any criminal convictions spent or unspent. Please see following link which is for the application guidance :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/general/apply/

Please see page 5 point 6.9.

I would state the criminal conviction and state mitigating circumstances surrounding your conviction such as the fact that it occurred a long time ago etc.

This would assist your application, in my opinion your conviction would not prevent you from visiting the uk.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Indeed I answered that there is a conviction. I am in a renewal process. A 5 year visa is about to expire and I am applying for a 10 year renewal. Prior to the 5 year renewal, i have had previous consistently in the last 10 or so odd year. The current renewal has taken so much time and I have not heard back from the High Commission.

Other than that glitch when I was studying in the UK 28 years ago, i am squeakily clean. I am in very good financial standing and in fact have 2 properties in the UK. Is that conviction alone enough grounds to refuse a visa?

Thank you for your reply.

No I believe not, it should not be an issue in respect of your visa. The fact that it was along time ago and the nature of the offence ie shop lifting and no murder or rape or assault, should assist your application.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I have one last question, does the question on crimimal convictions extend to parking tickets (issued by wardens & cameras)? I ask the question extended to parking offences.

Thank you for your reply.

Only if you when to court and had to plead guilty of the offence. If it was just parking tickets which you paid then these are not criminal offences.

I hope this answers your question.

Kind regards