UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I just had a baby for my boyfriend who is a British citizen

I just had a baby for my boyfriend who is a British citizen while myself I am a student studying in UK. is my child automatically entitled to a British passport?
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Are you still a couple?
Is your partner willing to put his name on your child's birth certificate?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we are still together and he is willing to put his name on the child certificate and he is so excited that he suggests we should tie the knot. our baby is just 12days old.

Thank you for your reply.

Yes in your case a child will now have an automatic right to British citizenship if the father is British, this was not the case before 1 July 2006. Please see following link section 3(1) :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/children/britishcitizen/borninuk/

You may also want to see the following link :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/

You may apply for British passport for the child.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer. Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please I would like to find out what happens to me. meaning what am I entitled to? does that automatically gives me stay in the UK or right outside my status as a student.

Thank you for your reply.

Do you currently hold a valid student visa?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes but it will soon expire so am thinking of applying for FLR for the fact that just had a baby or in either ways further my academics.

Thank you for your reply.

If you still have a valid student visa then what you must do after you have obtained a marriage certificate is apply for further leave to remain as the spouse of a British national:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/applying-in-uk/

You need to fill in form FLR M. In respect of this visa you must ensure that your sponsor and your combined income is at least £18,600 gross before submitting the application otherwise it will be refused.

You may wish to apply for FLR as a tier 4 student but was you are no doubt aware you would need to obtain a CAS letter from a college and ensure that you have the required amount for maintenance in your account.

If you already have a UK equivalent of a bachelor’s degree, then you may wish to take up employment with an employer in the UK whom is able to sponsor migrants. Please see following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/working/tier2/general/applying/

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your response.

I want apply for FLR(o) what are

the requirements?

Thank you for your reply. Please rate my previous answer positively.

Why do you want to apply for flr o?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To extend my stay since my student visa will soon expire. Although this advice was given to me by a student not really sure if it is the right path am about to take.

Thank you for your reply.

Could you kindly rate my previous answer positively and I will be happy to answer your new question.

Kind regards

Kind regards