Hi,I applied for ILR on 25/09/2012.The offence had presumable been committed sometime between November 1 - 4, however I didn't receive any notice about it. I had hired a car for 4 days at Sixt, and probably DVLA contacted them but I've never heard about it.The hearing happened on 25/03/2013, that's the way I learned about the offence: a few days later I received the [first and only] letter from the DVLA:"Our records show that on 25/03/2013 you were convicted of a driving offence, but either you did not produce your driving licence or only produced part of your driving licence to the Court for your offence to be endorsed (recorded). As your licence has not been endorsed you are required to send it to us with the enclosed reply slip. This will enable us to record the endorsement details on your driving license. A pre-addressed envelope is enclosed."So I phoned the DVLA, then the Court, and learnt some details of this story by phone.I am going to go to the Court next week to make a statutory declaration, and while I expect to be able to reduce the number of points from 6 to 3, it shouldn't help me much with my ILR application.I'd like to understand where I stand with my ILR application, and what course of actions it is best to folow now.Thanks
Hi Tom,Thank you for your answer. Could you please clarify a couple of things?You mentioned that I must not have any unspent convictions prior to the date of my application. Does it make any difference that my application had been submitted on 25/09/2012, while the hearing for my conviction happened 6 months later?You also mentioned that I am generally considered to be under a duty to update the UKBA of a change in circumstances. Would you suggest I should update the UKBA immediately after submitting a statutory declaration when my penalties have been cleared for a short while - if I understand the process correclty - until a new hearing has been held? Or I had better wait until the new hearing has been held (and 3 penalty points given again) and inform the UKBA of the offence only then? I just assume that waiting for the new hearing can take a while (possibly you can advise how long it normally takes?), so should I inform the UKBA while waiting or it would be better to wait and inform at the end of the process?It is possible that I do not understand the process very well, hope you can correct me if my questions make little sense.Thanks
I will answer at 1130
Thank you for your clarification. I have just rated the original answer.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).