How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife (from russia) has just been granted indefinite leave

This answer was rated:

my wife (from russia) has just been granted indefinite leave to remain, (two weeks ago) and has now left me, saying that she does not want to see me again, is it possible to have her ilr revoked?

Do you believe that she considered the marriage to be a sham and do you have any evidence of this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, yes, she never took the marriage seriously, we lived together for one year, then she left me, we would see each other maybe once a fortnight, and speak on the phone once or twice a week, but refused to live with me again, she needed to be married for two years before ilr was granted, she said the relationship we had would continue, and that eventually we would live together again


Thanks for your patience.

ILR would only be revoked where there was evidence that the marriage was a sham and only for convenience. You would have to produce this to the UKBA.

You have to tread a careful line here because we’re talking about deception from her party (certainly) because she has effectively deceived the UKBA of your marriage being genuine. However, if it was plain that you were also involved in the deception then you would also be guilty of an immigration offences.

The fact that you had been separated or not regularly living together does speak to it being a sham, so it might be that you have explain yourself adequately why, taking this in to account, you still considered the marriage to be genuine and credible and therefore supported her ILR.

IF it was the case that you genuinely believed that the marriage was credible and would remain so and can explain this to the UKBA then it’s not likely that you would face any action.

So, on that basis if you are still minded to do so then you can inform the UKBA in writing of the fact that your marriage has broken down because she has left and that you believe now but not at the time that the marriage from her point of view, was a pretence to securing ILR. They can then investigate and issue an action to revoke ILR. However, they are very busy and embattled frankly, so don’t expect rapid action.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, one last question, what evidence would be considered? my sister lived with me recently for four months, she saw my wife twice in that time at the property i was renting (technically my wife`s address), would a statement from my sister saying that wife was not living there at that time be sufficient?


Yes, that would help. It would in large part depend on your own evidence. Perhaps have a look for emails or text messages which confirm that she was absent during this time as well.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7406
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.