Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hi, Ive got bulgarian passport but Ive been living in Spain

I've got bulgarian passport but I've been living in Spain for the last 15 years. I don't have perminent residence but I've got a document for indefinite leave to remain and work in Spain.
At the moment I'm trying to find work and settle in UK therefore I would need to apply for National Insurance Number. Can I use my document from Spain and apply as a spanish citizen?
thank you

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid not, the fact that you have obtained permanent residence in Spain does not change your citizenship. You remain a Bulgarian citizen, just one that has the right to remain permanently in Spain.

It does not change the fact that you are still regarded as a Bulgarian citizen for UK purposes and you should apply on this basis. If you apply on the basis of being Spanish citizen and you do not have a Spanish passport then this could be regarded as a form od deception by the UK authorities here, which is quite a serious charge.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,