Awan-Legal
Awan-Legal, Solicitor
Experience:  Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
60469748

RA:sa

Customer Question

my husband wants to bring his children from nepal to live in britain with us what do we need to do
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 1 year ago.

Awan-Legal : Hi
Awan-Legal : Does your husband have settled status?
Awan-Legal : 2. Are you British?
Awan-Legal : If they are under 18, this link will give you the form details and requirements in the links to the side of the page:
Awan-Legal : http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/children/applying-visa/
Awan-Legal : Who is taking care of the children whilst he is here?
Awan-Legal : Migrants often mistakenly overlook many important factors when preparing and submitting entry applications for their children to accompany/join them in the UK and are often disappointed when applications are refused. Further, applicants who have children over the age of 18 that are dependent on the applicant face tough decisions under the UK Immigration Rules. The applicant will in most cases need to arrange for their ‘adult’ child to enter the UK under an alternative immigration route.
Awan-Legal : There are also further issues which need to be addressed in situations where children have parents who are separated, divorced and/or share custody of the children. In such situations the migrant coming to the UK must show they have had ‘sole responsibility’ for the child’s upbringing and such applications often fail owing to sole responsibility not being shown to the Entry Clearance Officer’s satisfaction. It is therefore recommended that applicants seek immigration advice to ensure the application is properly presented
Awan-Legal : The requirements to be met are as follows:
Awan-Legal : (i) The sponsoring parent/relative must be present and settled in the UK; or both parents should be applying to be admitted on the same occasion for settlement; orOne parent must be present and settled in the UK and the other should be applying to be admitted on the same occasion for settlement; orOne parent must be present and settled in the UK or should be applying to be admitted on the same occasion for settlement and the other parent is deceased; orOne parent must be present and settled in the UK or applying to be admitted on the same occasion for settlement and has had sole responsibility for the child`s upbringing; orOne parent or the relevant relative must be present and settled in the UK or applying to be admitted on the same occasion for settlement and there are serious and compelling family or other considerations which make exclusion of the child undesirable and suitable arrangements have been made for the child's care.(ii) The child should be under 18 years of age and not leading an independent life, nor be married and have formed an independent family unit. (iii) There must be sufficient funds for adequately maintaining and accommodating the child without recourse to UK public fundsIf any of the relevant requirements are not shown to be met the application for a child for indefinite leave to enter will be refused.
Awan-Legal : The rule of sole responsibility is observed strictly and any involvement of the other parent in the upbringing of the child may lead to the conclusion that the sponsoring parent does not have sole responsibility for the child or have responsibility for the major decisions in the child’s life. It is possible that even having regular contact with the other parent can serve as an indication that the sponsoring parent does not have sole responsibility and this may well lead to an adverse decision on an entry clearance application
Awan-Legal : If your husband does not yet have indefinite leave then:
Awan-Legal : Most long-term category visas under the UK Immigration Rules permit individuals to apply to bring their dependants with them (or to join them) in the UK, which would include children under the age of 18 years.The children are normally given the same period of limited leave to remain as their parents have and will be expected to apply for an extension in line with any extension application the parent makes.There are some cases when children under the age of 18 who have entered the UK as dependants of their parents eventually do become 18. These children, whilst still holding valid limited leave to remain as a dependant are still considered to be dependent and can apply for an extension/indefinite leave to remain in line with their parents, even after the age of 18, provided they still form part of the parent(s)’ household.Children who hold dependant visas in the UK are given full rights of access to state schooling and access to the NHS, however they are unable to seek assistance from UK public funds.The same rules concerning sole responsibility apply to the applications of dependent children of individuals with limited leave to remain. Please note there are specified maintenance requirements for the dependent children of Points-Based System migrants.
Expert:  Awan-Legal replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.