UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

Hi Im male from Egypt, and i came to Uk illegal, i had nothing

Hi
I'm male from Egypt, and i came to Uk illegal, i had nothing at that time, i had no family,I had no friends, nothing, so i had no choice but to stay illegal. I'm in a bad situation, because now im dating my girlfriend for more than one year, and she's from Europe, we want both to get married now, but im scared when we go to the register office to make the marriage they will ask me for a visa or an Id here in the Uk which i don't have it. I do have my egyptian passport and documents. Her familly supports us in everything we need, even in house, because we have been living all together. Please let me know which options do I have?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

There is nothing preventing you from marrying your partner and then applying for an eea family permit on the basis of your marriage. The fact is that under the human rights act you have a right to marry regardless of your situation.

The fact is that although you can not be stopped from marrying your partner there is nothing preventing the registry office informing the ukba that your relationship does not seem genuine and that you may be illegal.

From my experience if your relationship is genuine and you are in love and it is not a sham marriage then this would not provoke the registry office from informing the ukba. But it is a risk either way.

This would be your only option the fact is that you are illegal and the only thing keeping you in the uk is your partner. Therefore I would suggest that any applying as a spouse of an eea national would be the best application in your circumstances.

To apply for an eea resident permit and please see the following link :

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/documents-eea-nationals/applying/

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Your answer was good, but i didnt understand few things.

So it means if we go to register office and give notice of marriage, when they will check paper work like the passport for example, they will not check the visa ?And there will be no visa there. Just wanted to make sure in this point. Aswell people have told me that when they will ask some questions if we say something wrong they may call immigration, this seriously make me a bit preocupide...

Like you have told me before ''under the human rights act you have a right to marry regardless of your situation.'' why than should they call the immigration..?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. This is because regardless of your visa conditions whether you have a visa or not the home office do not allow marriage which are fake to take place. If they ask questions and to them the relationship seems fake they will call the immigration officers.

As you are in a genuine relationship you do not need to worry.

2. Yes you only need your visa as a form of ID, they do not check your visa.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1- Mean when i show my passport, to prove my name and nationality, they wouldn't check the back part of my passport where the visa's are to check if im legal in the UK?

Sorry aswell i need to ask another thing.

1- First option is to marriage in the Uk, by the register office, which, like you said it may be risky.

So 2- Can my partner go to her country, and marriage me behaf someone? Since i can't travel outside the Uk.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. No they will not check for your visa as the marriage does not depend on your status.

2. Unfortunately not the uk does not recognise such a marriage, you will need to be in her country of residence to marry her.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

People have told me that anyone can marriage someone in their own country even if the partner is not there with them. For this to be able she would need to take a procuration/proxy, from my part, ID, and birth certificate. Is this true? Or will it required more things?

If the marriage is done there, then she can change her passport from 'Single' to 'Married'. When she arrieves back in the Uk, she will have the contract of marriage and her passport showing that she is married. This will make everything easier, because after i can go to her Consolate, and change my passport from 'Single' to 'Married' aswell, I will have the certificate of marriage showing that Im married with her then maybe apply for some permit. Will this option be good aswell?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry i just want to make the right decion here, because one litle mistake and everything is lost.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Its not a problem at all, I apologise for the delay in reverting back to you.

1. Regarding marriage by proxy, this would be fine only if both husband and wife were, at the time of the marriage, are in a country where marriage by proxy is recognised and a proper marriage certificate was issued.

The position in British law is that the UK will recognise any marriage if it is valid where the marriage took place. So as I say, if husband and wife were both in a country or countries where marriage by proxy is recognised at the time of the marriage, that's fine. But if one partner is in the UK at the time of the marriage by proxy, it is not valid in British law as it is not possible to be married by proxy in the UK. British law requires that both parties are physically present and make their vows before a registrar or priest in the physical presence of two witnesses, who must all sign the marriage register.

Marriages taking place under United Kingdom law are not valid if they are by proxy. However, United Kingdom law may in some circumstances consider a proxy marriage to be valid if both of the partners are 'domiciled' in a country which recognises marriages by proxy."

2. If you can meet the above requirements, then yes it would be possible. But at this moment in time you are in the UK and thus, it would be difficult as the UK does not recognise marriage by proxy.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok i understand.

But regarding what you've told me before, I inform myself and I found out that aswell we can marriage in my Embassy.

1- In my embassy they ask same things that register office asks, which are: prove of adress, Id, birth certificate etc.. The thing is that in my Embassy would be more safer because they wouldn't call the Immigration, if we seem nervous or answer something incorrect. Which on the other hand, registry office would informing the ukba straight away. So my question is which option looks better in your oppinion, the Register Office or my Embassy?

2- If my Embassy would aswell be a good option,or acceptable, I remember that you've told me before that once we get marriage we could apply for eea resident permit; Would I still be able in this case of marreing in my embassy to apply for it?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. Yes you may marry in your embassy, but you should ask if you are able to obtain a marriage certificate from them and how long it would take.

2. If you feel safer marrying in your embassy and they would not call immigration if a few answers are incorrect then you should marry there.
Provided they issue you with a marriage certificate then yes. You should ask the embassy regarding the marriage certificate.

I hope this clarifies the matter if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologise for the delay in reverting back to you, I had some conection problems.

I've got to ask you just one more question, sorry.

1-Than if I marriage in my Embassy, will Uk recognise the marriage? And could i still apply for eea resident permit or visa?

2- If i have eea resident permit, am I am able to travel outside Uk, as a holiday, for example to my country, and still be able to return back without any problems?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. That is fine, I am happy to answer your new question.

1. Usually marriages conducted at an embassy are recognised, but you should double check with the embassy. If it is recognised then yes you may apply for an eea resident permit.

2. Once you have obtained the permit you may travel outside of the uk and return without any problems.

Kind regard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your answer.

If I marriage in my embassy, the marriage will be recognize in my country, and in Uk probally, but i think not for her country (Portugal). Could i take the marriage contract for my partner embassy, so the marriage can be recognize in her country? Is that possible, or I have to do it, in another way?

Because, I've heard that after 3 years of marriage I could aswell apply for her nationality and passport, if I can prove we've been together that time. (But only if the marriage will be recognize and legal for her country, that's why i want to make everything correct at this point).

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

If the marriage is recognised by Egypt then it would also be recognised in the uk. So you should not have a problem applying on the basis of your marriage.

Regarding Portugal, as already mentioned you would most probably want to check with their embassy and also with your embassy they will be able to advise you better in respect of marriages being undertaken in Egyptian embassies being recognised by Portugal.

Kind regard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You

So, as soon we have the marriage contract, can i apply straight away for eea permit resident? Or should I apply for visa? Or are both of these things the same? Sorry i got confuse.

2-Also do we need any other paper work to apply for eea permit, or just the marriage contract?

3-As well, if I apply for eea permit resident or visa, how long would it probally take me to get it. (And, is there any possibility that home office denies the papers to me? If so, would i have to go back to Egypt because they dennied it, or would I be able to stay here in UK, because of my partner?)

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. Yes you can apply for an eea permit, it is the same as a visa you do not need to apply for two different things.

2. You will need, evidence of your relationship, ie photos, emails, letters in both your names or at the same address, letters from family and friends confirming your relationship.

3. The process cam take up to 6 months, there is a possibility they may deny your visa, but they will give you a chance to provide further evidence of your relationship and you will not be required to leave the uk. The ukba will give you opportunities to submit further documentation.

Kind regard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

1- Ok, I think i got the point, so which one is it better or easier to apply, eea permit residence or Visa? (There must be one option better than the other, I guess? )

2- We do have lots of pictures together, would it be ok if some of my family send letter from egypt asking about me and her together and her familly, would that help as well? ( 3- When you say emails, what do you mean by that?

4- Do you think it would be a good idea, if we contract a soliciter, to help us with the process and paperwork? (If yes, do you work outside the internet for people?)

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. You need to apply for an eea resident permit.

2. Yes that would be fine, also any letters sent by companies from within the uk.

3. Unfortunately client contact outside of the website is forbidden, it is a term of the websites policy.

Kind regard
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry you forgot to answer one question

4- Do you think it would be a good idea, if we contract a soliciter, to help us with the process and paperwork?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes I would recommend you contact a solicitor, these applications can be complicated.

I hope this clarifies the matter if so kindly rate my answer positively.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your answers and patient.

It was a great service, since you answer them fast and well explained :)

I will rate Excellent service.

In future, if i have more question, I will ask them to you.

Kind Regards

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
It's a pleasure, thank you for your great feedback.

Good luck.

I look forward to your excellent rating.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor