UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

I am a UK citizen currently in the US. I am currently employed

I am a UK citizen currently in the US. I am currently employed at a US university as an assistant professor but we trying to move back to the UK for family reasons. We are looking into a spouse visa for my husband (an american) and have a question about the financial requirements. I have a job off for a maternity cover job (6-7 months). The salary is enough (35K) but will they accept a maternity cover job as a financial requirement for a spouse visa
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

How much have you been earning gross in the us?
Will the employment contract state the duration of employment?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the advice

Currently at about 90K (USD) and I have been in the position for 7 years.

I don't have the employment contract yet as they are asking if am I still interested before proceeding, but I am sure they will either state the duration or say "maternity cover". They are very specific in that when the person on maternity leave returns the position will end.

Our concern is that if I take it they are wanting me to start at the end of May which will require me going ahead of my husband, probably with the kids (who have dual US UK citizenship). If the visa is denied then we will not be in a good situation.

Thanks you for your reply.

Yes this does seem like a very precarious position to be in, the fact is the rules are silent in respect of employment being over a period of 6 or 7 months, instead they state and that the annual amount of salary must be at least 18600 pounds which your is and you must have been earning the required amount ie 18600 for the previous 12 months, which in your case you are.

Please see following link in particular Page 47: migration soi&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=,d.Yms

I would suggest that you submit the application and provide them with evidence of you earning 18600 at least for the previous 12 months and your current employment offer stating that you will be earning 35,000 a year. The fact is that you will be earning the required amount for at least 6 months.

Should you wish to peruse the rules your self please see the following link :

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards