UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I am a Canadian citizen wanting to come to the UK under Tier

I am a Canadian citizen wanting to come to the UK under Tier 5 Youth Mobility, (I meet all the criteria needed,) but will be married to a British citizen at point of entry. Will I automatically be rejected because of this? At the point of application I am 'single' but after our wedding in Canada this July we shall be going to the UK mid August. We are not wanting to settle permanently in the UK and will both be relocating back to Canada before my visa would expire.

Do I have to declare my intention to marry a UK citizen on my application? Is it with holding relevant info if I don't? And if I do have to declare it, how do I make UKBA convinced that I will not outstay my visa terms. We are honest people and are trying to navigate this red tape in the best way possible.

Thank you for you time and assistance.

Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

This is not something which you need to disclose at the time of the application but you would need to inform the ukba that you are married when the marriage takes place. This is because this is a material change of circumstances and you are required to inform the ukba when this happens.

The reason you cannot state and that you will be marrying is because intentions can change, plans can change, and therefore only once you have married you should inform the ukba.

Should you wish you to disclose this voluntarily then you may do so, it will not effect your application as being married to a British citizen does not automatically give you a right to remain in the uk or British citizenship.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively. If however, you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question, please DO NOT rate my answer negatively, I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, yes I understand this. We were aware that any change in circumstances must be disclosed and I would much rather only disclose it once married but this is the problem. We get married July 27th in Canada and travel to the UK 2-3 weeks later.

How do we inform the UKBA of the change in my marital status in this short space of time and by what means? I have no idea how! We are assuming that by May we will have a response to the initial application and therefore I will most likely already have my YMS visa by the wedding day.

Another potential issue is that Canada grants you a temporary marriage certificate and you do not get your legal document for 6 weeks. So when entering the UK I would not have any legal evidence of marriage.

Thanks again.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

If this is the case and it is causing you difficulty then, I suggest you informed the ukba in your covering letter enclosing your application that you are intending on marrying a British citizen in July and will be returning with her to the uk once you receive your visa.

This way you will be able to show the immigration officer If asked some evidence of marriage upon arrival at the airport ie a copy of the temporary marriage certificate. This would also mean you would not need to worry about informing the ukba of your marriage as you would have put them on notice, then once you have married just write a letter enclosing the marriage certificate, using the reference number stated on your visa and the letter accompanying your visa (if granted )

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more question, Who do I address the letter updating my status to? I am sure there are infinite offices in the UKBA system, so I want to make sure I send the information to the right person.

I can't find anything on the UKBA website that tells you how to add to your application. It just says 'you should inform the UKBA of any changes or relevant information.'

And would they be likely to receive this information within 2 weeks? I'm assuming you cannot ring/email?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

You should write to the person who issued you with the visa, this would be the person in the embassy in Canada who issued you the visa. The fact is had you made the application from inside the UK you could write to a person in the UK, but because it was made outside of the UK you need to quote your reference number and inform the person or department in canada of any changes.

You may find that some letters accompanying the visa may inform you whom to inform of any chances. If this is not the case the write to the above mentioned and also keep a copy of the letter and if possible, try sending it recorded so you have proof it was send and received.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.