Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Hi, I was born in UK before 1983 and my parents returned to

I was born in UK before 1983 and my parents returned to India after 9 months. Both my parents are Indian citizen. I hold an Indian passport as I travel a lot and I am 40 years old. Can I still apply for British nationality and passport. I have not formally submitted any document to renounce my British nationality.
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

If you were born in the UK before 1983 then you will be a UK citizen by virtue of your birth. It does not matter if your parents were not UK citizens. Please refer to the following link for confirmation of this:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/

There is no need for you to register as a UK citizen because you are automatically a UK citizen because you were born here.

Provided you are able to verify your identity and birth with documentation then you can apply for a UK passport in the normal way.

Guidance if you are in India here:-
http://ukinindia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

Good luck!

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom