How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme work visa for the

This answer was rated:

I am applying for the Youth Mobility Scheme work visa for the UK, and at the time of application I am single, but at the time of entry to the UK I will be married to a British citizen. There is no engaged option on the application, so I have to put single, but should I note in the 'other important information section' that my marital status will be changed when I enter the UK?

Have you actually submitted the application already?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't submitted the application yet. My fiancee and I will be moving back to Canada after two years in England, so we don't want the UK border to be suspicious that I wouldn't leave after my Youth Mobility visa expires because I'll will be married to a British Citizen, but we also want to be completely honest and we're worried that not telling them that I will be married when I enter the UK would be withholding important information.


I've read blogs of people who have done the Youth Mobility Scheme visa while being married to a British Citizen, but I haven't found anyone who has been engaged at the time of application and married at the time of entry.


Thanks for your patience.

You are absolutely correct that you should classify yourself as single if you do not actually live with your partner. If you refer to the guidance notes for the application form you will see that in order to be classified as an unmarried partner you must live with them, so if you do not then you should state that you are single.

However, as you are in a relationship with a UK national you should disclose it in the other important information section. Explain that you are in a relationship and that you plan to marry before you enter the UK. The difficulty is that the UKBA may then say that the most appropriate form of visa applicaton for you is a spouse visa, but to counter this you should explain that you do not intend to reside permanently in the UK when you enter on your youth mobility visa. You should have to submit a witness statement confirming that although you will be married it is far from certain that you would ultimately decide to settle permanently in the UK.

I have to be honest if you are to marry in the near future, I would think that a spouse visa application would be the most appropriate for you. The UKBA may take this view as well if they are believe that this is simply a route to settling in the UK by other means so you will have quite a job on convincing them that you should be given a spouse visa.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much for your services. I have one more thing to ask.


We have looked at the spouse visa over the youth mobility scheme, but we just can't afford the spouse visa as the financial requirements are far beyond the finances we have as a newly married couple. In my opinion I don't see how very many newly weds could afford the spouse visa, it seems like a process more for people who are well into their married life and are more financially stable than most newly weds in their first year. And a spouse visa for just the two years seems to be not what the visa is meant for as it appears to us that the spouse visa is for those who are planning on settling in the UK. Even if our plans did change and we decided to settle, we would return to Canada for a period of time before settling in the UK.


In your opinion would the fact that we only want to spend two years in the UK, (we can get this witnessed) and that we simply can't afford the spouse visa be sound enough arguments for the youth mobility visa?


Its a question of intent. If you genuinely intend to return to canada before the expiry of the youth mobility visa then I can see how you would get some traction with the united kingdom border agency with this argument.

However, the argument that you cannot afford it would not get you anywhere. The united kingdom border agency would view the central tenet of this argument as being that you do still genuinely intend to reside permanently in the united kingdom and that your application for a youth mobility visa is simply an application for a spouse visa by stealth.

Please rate my answer.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.