How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there RE: wifes status when returning to the UK. My

Customer Question

Hi there

RE: wife's status when returning to the UK.

My wife is from the philippines, she currently has a descretionary leave to remain visa which expires in Decmber 2014. I have been offered a job in Brunei, and we are keen to accept this job offer.

But, we are aware that my wife would lose her descretionary leave to remain as a result. What would our best bet in terms of re-entering the UK on completion of my contract on 31st December 2014? Also, we want to play this completely by the book, who would we need to inform about our plans? So that the border agency is made aware that my wife will not be fulfilling her descretionary leave to remain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,


Asa Shaw
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Why was your wife granted discretionary leave instead of leave to remain as the spouse of UK national in the usual way? Assuming you are a UK citizen of course..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom,

We got married only just before my wife's visa ran out, this could be a reason. Also, they were worried a lack of evidence that my wife speas fluent English,we didn't sunbmit any formal English language qualifications as our solicitor had informed us that passing the "Life in the UK" test would be sufficient evidence.


But, in all honesty, we are not sure why she was not awarded the normal spousal visa! We only became aware that this was not normal, when we returned from a holiday in the summer, and the man checking our passports on return into the UK, informed us that it was unusual and would mean it would take my wife longer to get indefinite leave. I then re-contacted my solicitor, who informed me that we had no right od appeal until the end of the descretionary leave to remain visa in December 2014.


I hope that helps you to some extent!!



Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Also, I am a UK citizen.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

When would you leave the UK?

What date does your wife's visa expire?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We would leave the UK on 5th April 2013,my wife's visa expires 2th Decmber 2014.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry-28th December 2014

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that to be sure of her being granted entry to the UK upon your return you would have to apply for a further visa. This is because her current visa would expires whilst you are out of the UK, which means that the UKBA would almost certainly refuse entry.

I would suggest that the best way forward would be for her to apply for a traditional spouse visa a few months before she intends to travel back to the UK with you. Presumably her discretionary visa was granted on the basis that she intended to remain in the UK as her main residence and so by leaving the country this effectively breaches a condition of the visa.

In my view the best thing to do would be to apply for a spouse visa again. BY leaving the country in this way though, you have to consider that it would also stop the clock in terms of the time that she has now built up for the purpose of applying for ILR. When she returns the 5 years residence period (as it now is for spouses of UK nationals) would start again.

Sorry I could not have better news, but a further application would seem the most appropriate way forward in the circumstances.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks very much


Do you know what the conditions would be for her to get a spouse visa? I am also assuming that even if we were to stay in the UK, we would be unlikely to win an appeal to change the descretionary leave to remain into a spousal visa??

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

The situation would be the same if she were already here on a spouse visa, it makes no difference; the key fact is that she will leave the UK for a considerable period of time.

The requirements for a spouse visa are contained on the following link:-

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tom:


Just a couple more things.Thank-you


1.Should we inform anyone that my wife will be leaving the UK?


2. At end of descretionary leave to remain visa in December 2014, would we have a good chanve of converting visa to a spouse visa, as we have been told that we would probably just get another 3 years descretionary leave.


Don't worry-I willmake sure that I rate your answer, you have been extremely helpful

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas


    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.
  • John Knox's Avatar

    John Knox


    Satisfied Customers:

    solicitor with 8 years experience