Thomas
Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I was born in Scotland as were my parents I was a landed immigrant

I was born in Scotland as were my parents I was a landed immigrant and became a canadian citizen when I was 15. I have my british birth certificate
How do I go about getting a British passport for me and my family. My children were born in 1984 and 1990
I live in British Columbia

Thank You
Hi

What was your date of birth please?

Tom
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My date of birth was january 26 1958
I immigrated in 1964. Became a citizen in
1974

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

January 25 1958 immigrated in 1964 citizenship 1974

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I’m afraid I’ve had connectivity issues.

If you were born in the UK before 1983 then you would be a British Citizen simply by birth:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/othernationality/Britishcitizenship/borninukorqualifyingterritory/

You will have “citizenship otherwise than by descent”.

If it is the case that your children were born outside the UK after 1983, then they will still be entitled to UK citizenship on the basis that you were citizen by birth. However, UK citizenship is only permitted to descend one generation to children born outside the UK and when it does it means that the children get “UK citizenship by descent”.

This means that they will be UK citizens and will have the same rights that other UK citizens do, except that they would not automatically be able to pass their citizenship on to such of their own children that are themselves born outside the UK,.

You can apply for passports in the normal way:- http://ukincanada.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom