How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Solicitor
Category: UK Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am British. My son was born in the US and we have lived there

This answer was rated:

I am British. My son was born in the US and we have lived there mainly for the last 20 years, though we have visited UK most years for an average of 3 months and have a house in Wales. He is moving to UK and has a British passport. My understanding is he can get a national insurance # XXXXX can he also get income based jobseekers allowance while he looks for work?

Is he moving to the UK permanently, or at least for a few years?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, he wants to live/work in UK. Hopefully in a graphic design firm in London or somewhere in UK. He is hoping to get a job or do some low paid internships to build his experience / confidence/ portfolio and then get a job. He has a year and a half NYC ( (pratt institute)design school education. He took a leave from there and has been working for free/ small wage at design firms in New York for the last 2 months. He felt the school education was not worth the money and he was always at the top of the class and not learning anything. He is very driven and eventually wants to open his own small firm with others. He did get offered a uni place at UAL but the fees are too high and again he is unsure if the value. Ideally he would like to go to grad school at the royal college of art and they do take students with excellent work/ portfolio .. this is his dream unless he finds wirk that makes the grad piece unnecessary. He is sure that UK is the place for this. He would also like to do some short ( couple month) internships in europe if that worked out. He is much more in line with the European design scene than the american one. He has spent most of his summers there since very young. He has excellent references. I have a younger son who will also try uni inNew York this year. He wants to move to UK too.. he is trying school here first as it is almost full scholarship. At the point he wants to move to UK/ Europe I will also want to. Our family and all friends are there. My husband is an American architect without a British passport but open to move when the time comes. All of us living there is the goal. Long answer !!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Our house is in the rhondda valley wales. Might it be easier to get habitual residency there. And job seekers allowance.? Would he then have to stay in wales. And not be able to look for work in the bigger cities?

Thanks for your patience.

He can get a National Insurance Number.

There are two types of JSA 1) contribution based and 2) income based. Your son would not be eligible for the first because he does not have any national insurance contributions in the past two years.

As to the second, he probably would not be able to claim this immediately and may have to wait until the Department of Work and Pensions deem him being permanently residence in the UK. Annoyingly there is no fixed time which a person must meet in order to qualify, because each case is judge on it’s own merits. I should think that he would not be able to claim for at least 4 months.

Once he has been deemed resident in the UK he should be able to claim provided that he is not studying full time, has less than £16, 000.00 in capital (eg. Savings), is looking for work, is not working or working less than 16 hours per week and is available for interview.

If your husband is also to come to the UK then when the time comes he will have to apply for a spouse visa:-

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the place(wales because if our house or London) for applying important. And does he need to be where he applies? Can he apply straight away or should he wait 4 months so as not to be denied. If he is denied will he be able to reapply after a couple months?

He should apply from the locality where he is going to be permanently based, though it does not matter particulaly where he is provided that it is in England and Wales.

He can apply straight away to try his luck, it does not prejudice his chances of making a further application a few months later. They may give him some detailed guidance in fact.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas, Solicitor
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Thomas



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
< Last | Next >
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years hight street experience
  • A Hayat's Avatar

    A Hayat

    Immigration Solicitor

    Satisfied Customers:

    13 years specialist skill in UK Immigration & Nationality Law
  • Paul Richmond's Avatar

    Paul Richmond


    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons) (First Class), LL.M (Distinction), Immigration Barrister (12 years)
  • Awan-Legal's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in immigration law with the highest level of accreditation in this area and with many years experience.