Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

If someone was granted a UK visit visa for upto 5 years, what

If someone was granted a UK visit visa for upto 5 years, what conditions are attached to this leave, in terms of how long they can stay at a given time and how long they have to go home for, before re-entering the UK?

i.e. Can they only stay up to 6 months maximum at any given point and then they have to go home for a period (How long?), before re-entering the UK? I presume it's to avoid settlement via a visit visa.

Intention of visit is to stay with a relative who's studying in the UK.

Thanks for your patience.

The requirement is that a visitor should not spend more than 6 months in the UK in any 12 month period.

Therefore, If a person is in the UK and they wish to check whether they comply with this condition they should count back 12 months. They should then calculate the number of days that they have been in the UK throughout that 12 month period. If the amount if more than 6 months then they are in breach of their visa, if the amount if less than 6 months then they are not in breach of their visa.

Each time a person attempts to enter under a five year multi-entry visitors visa the entry clearance officer will examine their passport and check for the amount of time over the previous 12 months that they have spent in the UK. If they have spent 6 months in the UK then they will be refused and denied entry.

The precise amount of time spent in the UK in the last 12 months often affects whether a person should be permitted entry or not. So if you attempted to enter and you have spent 5 months and three weeks in the previous 12 months in the UK then the entry clearance office would probably refuse entry unless you were able to show return flight tickets for a flight which left in the next week before you reached the 6 month period.

They would probably question you if you attempted entry where you had spent 5 months out of the previous 12 in the UK and you would have to provide a satisfactory explanation for why you are entering and details of when you shall leave

Basically, each time you are thinking about entering you should count back 12 months and if you have spent 5 or more in the UK you should be prepared to produce evidence to the entry clearance officers upon arrival that you will leave the UK before you reach the 6 months maximum.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,