UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

What documents are required for a Tier 4 student visa? How

What documents are required for a Tier 4 student visa? How much maintenance fees do I need to have? (Do I need suffient funds to cover the entire course duration, at the time of application?) And do funds have to be in a bank account for at least 28 days? Thanks
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

What course will you be studying and for how long?
How old will the applicant be?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Undergraduate course 3 yrs or Postgraduate 1 yr (full-time) depending on which offers become available.
Applicant already has a degree at a UK higher institution, but would like to study a different course at a different University.

23 yrs old.

Thanks.

Kind regards

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Please see link regarding form and guidance:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/studying/adult-students/apply-outside-uk/

The following link details the documentation required:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/documents-t4-gen.pdf

If studying in inner London:
i) Where the applicant does not have an established presence studying in the United Kingdom, the applicant must have funds amounting to the full course fees for the first academic year of the course, or for the entire course if it is less than a year long, plus £1000 for each month of the course up to a maximum of nine months

If you are studying in inner london then you will need show up to 9 months of maintenance ie (£1000.00 x 9) £9000.00 plus any fees for that year which are still to be paid.

If studying in outer London and elsewhere in the United Kingdom:

i) Where the applicant does not have an established presence studying in the United Kingdom, the applicant must have funds amounting to the full course fees for the first academic year of the course, or for the entire course if it is less than a year long, plus £800 for each month of the course up to a maximum of nine months.

If you are studying outside of london the £800.00 to a maximum of 9 months (£800 x 9)£7200.00 plus any unpaid fees.

You will need to have funds in your account for 28 days unless you are a member of a low risk country:

Students of designated low-risk nationalities attending courses with highly trusted sponsor status do not routinely have to present documents at the visa application stage in respect of their maintenance funds, although UKBA reserves the right to ask to see the evidence.

The current list of low risk nationalities is: Argentina; Australia; British National Overseas; Brunei; Canada; Chile; Croatia; Hong Kong; Japan; New Zealand; Singapore; South Korea; Taiwan; Trinidad and Tobago; and the USA.

If you are a student of a nationality not included in this list, you must show that you have held the required money for a consecutive 28-day period (finishing on the date of the closing balance) ending no more than one month before your application.

If you are providing your evidence of money from a single account, we will assess the funds available to you from the closing balance given on the document you provide as evidence

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your inputs.

I would like to ask a few more questions to clarify this matter, please.

First of all, with regards XXXXX XXXXX maintenance fees, if the applicant decides to study in inner London, I am aware that they have to pay 9,000 Pounds Sterling for the first 9 months,plus course fees, but is it necessary to have the fees for the entire course duration at the time of applying or will the course fees for the initial year be sufficient, please?

And in the case of an postgraduate course, would the entire fees for the course duration (normally 1 year full-time and 2 years part-time) need to be presented when submitting the visa application?

Are non EU applicants allowed to do a part-time postgraduate degree (2 years) and be permitted to work part-time or are they only permitted to study a full-time postgraduate course (which normally lasts a 1 year) please? Thanks

Also, what do you mean by an applicant who has an 'established presence studying in the UK', please? Does that include an applicant who has already attained a degree, with a highly trusted UK based institution/sponsor?

Next, with regards XXXXX XXXXX are the 28 days counted from the date of the last closing balance, prior to the application?
And is it not advisable to have funds in account for more than 28 days prior to the application?

Finally, the applicant is seeking financially sponsorship from a member of the family and does not have any other means of funding at all i.e. would be fully supported by the sponsor, as it stands, so would the sponsor's bank statement and a signed letter, be sufficient? Thanks

And what format does the sposnor letter have to adhere to? If you could kindly outline an example of such letter. Thank you.

Kind regards.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. The applicant only needs the funds in their account at the time of application, not the duration of the course.

2. Where the applicant has an established presence studying in the United Kingdom ie already a tier 4 student and applying for further leave to remain, the applicant must have funds amounting to the course fees required either for the remaining academic year if the applicant is applying part-way through, or for the next academic year if the applicant will continue or commence a new course at the start of the next academic year, or for the entire course if it is less than a year long, plus £1000/£800 for each month of the course up to a maximum of two months

3. • If you are on a course at or above NQF 6/QCF 6/SCQF 9 at a UK higher education institution, or a short-term study abroad degree programme at an overseas higher education institution, you are allowed to:
o work for up to 20 hours per week during term time;
o work full-time during vacations;
o do a work placement as part of your course;
o work as a postgraduate doctor or dentist on a recognised Foundation Programme; and
o work as a student union sabbatical officer for up to 2 years.

4. Established presence means already in the UK on a tier 4 visa and applying for further leave to remain.

5. The days are counted from the date of application, what I suggest to do is ensure you have funds in your account for 28day before you submit the application.

6. Yes you would need to submit an affidavit with the bank statements. The affidavit needs to confirm that the sponsor is willing to grant the applicant full access to funds available in the account.

Kind regard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thank you for your detailed answer.

There's been a slight misunderstanding with re to the 1st question I've asked you. What I meant is that, at the time of applying for a student Tier 4 visa, does the applicant need to have the total sum of fees (3 yrs worth of fees or however long the course is) before applying, or will the 1st year's fees, only, be sufficent?

Also, just to clarify, are non EU applicants permitted to study a degree at postgraduate level at a part-time basis or a full-time basis, please? I'm not referring to a degree in Medicine, a different field, non-Science based i.e. Arts etc Thanks

Finally, could you kindly outline the format/template of an affidavit letter, please? Thank you.

Kind regards.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

1. The course fees would only be in respect of the first year of college fees.

2. You can apply for a postgraduate degree at either level depending on if the university is willing to offer you a cas letter to undertake that course.

3. I can try, I will state it in points :

I xxx of address nationality xxx state the following

I confirm that I am willing to sponsor Mr xxxx of xxx date of birth, nationality, passport number education in the uk and grant him unlimited access to funds in my bank account (state banks name and address ).

In addition I grant xxx access to the funds in my account to be used as they wish for the duration of their xxxx course.

Signed dated.

Kind regards

UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.