Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Partner in national law firm.

I am a british subject, I hold a full unrestricted british

I am a british subject, I hold a full unrestricted british passport, my wife is a filipino, we live and work outside the UK, how can she become a british subject and obtain a british passport
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Are you planning to come & live in the UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, we live in Papua New Guinea at the moment, I work in the oil and gas industry and have spent the last 10 years working out of the uk. We don't have any direct plans at the moment to live in the uk or not. The reason for looking to obtain this is the visa issues we face each time we move country, it would make life easier if my wife had a British passport. I am under the impression that if we are together for an extended period of time this will have the same affect as living in the uk
Hi James

The rules are a little complex when you have no immediate plans to enter and live in the UK. I will have a look at the regulations and come back to you with a full answer within 24 hours.

Hi James

I have reviewed the regulations about citizenship but cannot find any grounds upon which your wife can make an application whilst living abroad.

Your wife could make an application to enter the UK with you and in due course she could apply for indefinite leave (residency) and then naturalisation as a British Citizen. However she would have to come to the UK in order to make her applications.

However whilst living abroad the mere fact that she is married to you is not sufficient to apply for citizenship.

I am happy to discuss further and review the situation.

You can use this tool from the website to check the information I have given you earlier.

The route to citizenship unfortunately requires steps which involve more than lengthy marriage.

Hope this helps.

If you have not already done so, then please rate my answer so I am credited for my time.

If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law.

I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes