UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.

I went to England to visit my girlfriend for a period of 4

Customer Question

I went to England to visit my girlfriend for a period of 4 months and before I could enter, I was detained and interrogated by immigration officers,detained for 10 hours asking about my personal life, my past relationships, my job, my children. They also questioned my girlfriend for a whole hour on the phone. I was photographed, fingerprinted and denied entry to England and escorted to the plane and then shipped back to the united states. I never felt so embarrassed and humiliated. My girlfriend was in tears. Why was I detained and locked up with other 3rd world people when I'm an American citizen? I have no criminal record and I have traveled often to other countries spending far more time in other countries than the 4 months I requested to stay in England. I know the maximum I can stay is 6 months. I had a decent place to stay and accommodations (at my girlfriend's) and had enough money to spend. Why was I denied entry?
Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

Do you have family in the usa?
Do you work or study?
What strong connections do you have to the us?
Did they supply you with a refusal letter?
What was the basis stated for refusal?
Have you been denied entry to the UK before?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have family in the USA.

I am Employed but took a leave of absence for a maximum of 4 months with guaranteed reinstatement upon my return.

I also supplement my income by selling on ebay.

I have been employed as an Emergency Medical Technician for 20 years but I have switched from company to company due to a bigger salary, so yes I have strong connections to medical emergency management and my country and have no desire to leave my profession

The letter stated that they were not satisfied that I have a significant incentive to return to the US and because I mentioned that I will not seek to take employment or take recourse to public funds in order to support and maintain myself whilst in the United Kingdom.

They mentioned this because of my social and economic circumstances? I have adult daughter who lives on her own and a son who I was denied being the father but still give out of my own pocket without any court order, because I know he's mine. Both from previous relationships. He (the immigration officer) doubted any company would grant me leave for that long. My employer granted me permission just as long as the leave was without pay.

And yes, this was my first visit to Great Britain/UK

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!