UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
66967392

I recently got refused a tourist visa to the UK, and I am a

I recently got refused a tourist visa to the UK, and I am a US green card holder who travels to the US every few months, but currently doing business in Nigeria. I applied giving a hotel booking and got the following as the reason for refusal:

Exchange rate used in assessing your application was £1 = 250 Naira. In order to be able to make a decision on whether or not to grant you entry clearance in this category I have taken into account your stated circumstances in Nigeria, the reasons for your visit and your proposed travel arrangements. You have declared that you are self-employed earning N300,000 per month and that you have no family commitments in Nigeria. You also state that you propose to travel alone as a tourist and have no friends or family in the UK. Given the statements you have made and the documentary evidence you have presented to support your application I am not satisfied that your circumstances in Nigeria, coupled with your reasons for wishing to travel to the UK, are such that you have shown your intentions are as stated or that you intend to leave the UK at the end of your proposed visit. I am therefore not satisfied that your application meets the requirements of paragraph 41(i) and (ii) of the Immigration Rules. (These paragraphs state that the requirement is you are a genuine visitor and plan to leave at the end of your stay)

Im a married US green card holder with my wife an american in the US. Ive been working in Nigeria doing contracts since the US recession in 2008/2009. I plan to move my wife down here soon but for now shes continuing her hair salon work in the US. I visit her in the US every 3 months

I submitted EVERY possible document: finances (both coy and personal with a salary of N300k (1200GBP) paid to me by my coy, combined balance of over N2m, N500k made available for the trip (1 week), land, current projects and contract with a state govt, coy registration, green card, US marriage certificate, current and previous passport, cover letter specifying everything above.

I feel insulted that they can think I want to run away to the UK when I have strong ties to the US. I dont think the ECO even looked at my supporting documents at all as i am sure the application was COMPLETE. I think an appeal will be a long process so i want to reapply, but what circumstances do they want me to change? im not going to cook up a lie ive presented everything. what do i do? Please advise. I have applied from the US in 2008 and was refused due to finances. i had a friend invite me then but this person cant really be considered a friend anymore so i applied as a tourist with a hotel booking, which is where i will stay. Could this be used against me? I also applied for airside transit once on my way from the US to Nigeria at Heathrow and got denied and removed. All this was stated in my recent application.

Category: UK Immigration Law
Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE so I can get credited for my time.

This is unfortunatley not something that is unheard of in the UK. The United kingdom border agency (UKBA) usually always refuse visas for high risk nationals and unfortunatley you are a high risk national due to your nationality. Some of the high risk nationals are as follows, Pakistani, Bangaleshi, Zimbabweans etcs if you are a nationals of these countries then the UKBA in most occasions refuse to allow an application at first instance. I know this is unfair and discriminatory but this is what the UKBA officers are being told to do.

What I suggest you do is write a letter to the Post which refused your application. This would usually be on the top of the refusal letter. In the letter you ask them to reconsider their decision stating the documents you believe you provided with your application for a visit visa. You should refute the statements made by the immigration officer in their refusal letter and state the reasons for them being incorrect. You may also wish to provide further evidence to the immigration officer regarding your connections to Nigeria and your intention to return home. The UKBA wants to ensure that you do not overstay your visa and if you provide evidence of family in Nigeria, business in Nigeria, property in Nigeria, then this builds stronger connects between you and Nigeria thus increasing the possibility of you returning home. I know you have no intention of overstaying but by providing the documents I have stated it shows to the UKBA that you will not overstay.

You should be aware that this process could take up to 3 months and there is no fee attached, just a letter enclosing any documentation which you may deem relevant. Failing this your only other option, if you do not appeal is to reapply for another visit visa.

I hope this answers your question, if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I specify any information about my wife being based in the US? I dont think I want to wait 3 months thats torture I'd rather reapply addressing the previous refusal reasons. Is this a good/better option?

Expert:  UK_Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes you may mention your wife being in the US and the fact that you want to return to the US after your visit, you marriage certificate and evidence of your wife residing in the US will also be helpful.

Yes this is an option, but you will need to include all the evidence of your connections to Nigeria and US this would also be a quicker option.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience: I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.